Teyo Tufanbeyli power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Teyo Tufanbeyli power station is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Adana province, Turkey.
The map below shows the approximate location east of the village of Pınarlar where the plant would be built, in Tufanbeyli district, Adana province.
Background on Plant
In June 2012, Turkish investment firm Teyo Yatırım ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş and Chinese investment firm Weiqu Energy Investments won a bid from Turkish Coal Enterprises (TKİ) to build a 700-MW, $1.2-billion mine-to-mouth coal-fired power plant at TKİ's coal mine in the Tufanbeyli district of Turkey's Adana province.
On July 4, 2017 Ankara 18th Administrative Court heard a motion filed by İsmail Hakkı Atal, a lawyer, to have the plant's EIA cancelled on the grounds that environmental factors had not been adequately considered.
On November 20, 2017, Teyo signed the formal general contract agreement with Power Construction Co-Corporation of China (Power China). The contract work would be jointly implemented by SGCC and Power China. Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation, subsidiary of SGCC will undertake the EPC works on the project.
In June 2018 it was reported that the investment required was $900 million and that TEYO will pay 50 million dollars royalty annually to TKI. As of December 2019, there has not been any update on the plant or mining process, and the online generation license had been taken down from the EMRA website and is not accessible.
Rents have reportedly skyrocketed in the town of Tufanbeyli since the beginning of the development of two coal plants in the area.
- Sponsor: Teyo Yatırım ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş.
- Parent company: Teyo Yatırım ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş.
- Location: Pınarlar village, Tufanbeyli district, Adana province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.22990, 36.24810 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1 & 2: 350 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Tufanbeyli mine, Turkey
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Lignite Coal Plant to Be Built, Hürriyet Daily News, June 26, 2012.
- A POWERPLANT PROJECT IN ADANA TUFANBEYLI REGION, Teyo Yatırım website, accessed Feb. 2018.
- environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the coal mine; and crushing, screening and washing plant, TEYO, Aug. 2013.
- Teyo`nun Tufanbeyli Santrali için önemli adım, Enerji Günlügü, 3 Jan. 2014.
- Evidence of climate change case, Hurriyet, Oct. 30, 2018.
- "Teyo – Tufanbeyli Coal-Fired Power Plant 700 MW – Adana - Project Profile," Report Buyer, November 2017
- Çinliler Tufanbeyli’de!, Barış, 7 June 2018.
- 5 bin nüfuslu ilçede ev kiraları İstanbul ile yarışıyor, Zaman, 22 Aug. 2013
- POWER PLANT, Teyo Yatırım website, accessed June 2018.