Than Bac Lieu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Than Bạc Liêu power station, also known as Cai Cung coal-fired power plant, was a proposed 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Bạc Liêu province, Vietnam. In September 2016, Bac Lieu Province leaders presented a proposal to the Prime Minister to withdraw the project in order to reduce the impacts of coal power in the Mekong Delta on fisheries and public health. The provincial leaders recommended a greater emphasis on wind and other clean power sources as an alternative to the "Brown economy." At the end of 2016, Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc welcomed the proposal by the provincial government to withdraw the proposal from National Master Plan VII.
The map below shows the location of Long Điền Đông commune, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Đông Hải district, Bạc Liêu province.
Appendix II of Vietnam's 2011-20 National Master Plan for Power Development, approved in July 2011, lists a two-unit, 1,200-MW coal-fired power plant in Bạc Liêu province, to be constructed by 2028. The Revised Power Development Plan VII lists the project as coming online in 2029/2030 in case renewable energy projects cannot meet the planned schedule. 
In February 2015, representatives of Sojitz Kyushu Corporation (a subsidiary of Japanese firm Sojitz) met with Bac Lieu provincial officials and EVN representatives to discuss initial preparations for the project.
In September 2016, the provincial governor stated that, given that the province's priority being on promoting the growth of the intensive shrimp farming industry, the environmental risk is too great to justify building the Cái Cùng coal power plant. In March 2017, provincial officials asked the central government to take the Cái Cùng plant out of their national plan.
Plans for Renewable Energy
With a coastline of 56 km, strong and stable winds, and almost year-around sunshine, Bạc Liêu province is well situated for both solar and wind power development. Currently, the province has a 99.2 MW wind power plant invested in by Cong Ly Construction Trade Tourism Company Limited, reportedly the largest wind power facility in the country.
On November 5, 2017, a cooperation contract was signed between the Long Điền Đông commune and Group SY (a Korean corporation) to deploy a 300 MW solar power plant on the 400-hectare location that had been previously allocated for the power plant. According to the agreement, the project will begin with a first phase of 50 MW from 2017 to June 2019. If developed, it will be the largest solar facility in Vietnam. In addition to the Group SY project, a second solar power project of 150 MW has been proposed by Kimin Group (UK), comprising a first phase of 40 MW and a second phase of 110 MW. UPC Renewables Company (USA) has also also conducted preliminary work to develop a wind power facility, with 50 MW in the first phase and 150 MW in the second phase.
Plans for gas
In May 2018, US-based company Energy Capital Vietnam signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for a 3200 megawatt (MW) LNG-fired plant in Bac Lieu Province, as an alternative to a proposed coal plant.
- Sponsor: EVN and Sojitz Kyushu Corporation
- Parent company: EVN and Sojitz
- Location: Cái Cùng hamlet, Long Điền Đông commune, Đông Hải district, Bạc Liêu province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 9.148, 105.535 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 1,200 MW (2 x 600 MW)
- Projected in service: Unit 1: 2029, Unit 2: 2030
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Press Release," Vietnam Sustainable Energy Alliance and Vietnam Non-Communicable Diseases Alliance, September 23, 2016.
- "Bạc Liêu hướng đến năng lượng sạch," Người Lao Động, 7 November 2017
- Quyết định phê duyệt Quy hoạch phát triển điện lực quốc gia giai đoạn 2011 - 2020 có xét đến năm 2030 (Approval of the National Master Plan for Power Development for the 2011-2020 Period with Vision to 2030), Prime Minister of Vietnam, Statement No. 1208/QD-TTg, July 21, 2011, Appendix II, p. 3.
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)
- UBND tỉnh tiếp và làm việc với đại diện Công ty Kyushu và Sojitz về dự án Trung tâm Điện lực Bạc Liêu, Bac Lieu Online, 12 Feb. 2015.
- Bạc Liêu chối nhiệt điện than: Nhật Bản làm, vẫn không chọn, Bao Dat Viet, 30 Sept. 2016.
- Bạc Liêu xin loại dự án nhiệt điện Cái Cùng khỏi quy hoạch, ThienNhien.net, 20 Mar. 2017.
- Viet Phong, "PM talks up Mekong Delta potential for gas-fired power plants," Vien Express, July 27, 2018