Thoothukudi IBPGL power station
Thoothukudi IBPGL power station is a 189-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India.
A liquidation process related to the mothballed plant was initiated.
The plant is located near Pudurpandiapuram (Puthiamputhur) village.
The power station (2 x 63 MW) was commissioned in February 2010. The project is sponsored by Ind-Barath Power Gencom Limited (IBPGL), a subsidiary of Ind-Barath Infra Group. A third unit of 63 MW was added in July 2010.
According to a January 2022 liquidation proceeding document, "[d]ue to challenges in fuel supply (low power off-take), surmounting receivables from TANGEDCO (due to financial stress faced by it) and subsequent cancellation of PPA, IBPGL stopped operations of the plant in June 2017." IBPGL was a subsidiary of Ind-Barath Power Infra Limited (IBPIL), the flagship company of the Ind-Barath Group. IBPIL owned 70.69% shares in the company while 29.26% shares were held by Group Captive Consumers and 0.05% shares by by promoter group.
Related documents were available on the company's liquidation website.
In June 2022, Adani and Jindal Power (JPL) were reportedly in the race to acquire Ind-Barath Thermal Power in a bankruptcy auction. Interest in distressed power companies recently increased due to a shortage of power supply and the government nudge to state-owned banks to finance them.
Sponsor: Ind-Barath Power Gencom Ltd
Parent: Ind-Barath Infra Group
Location: Pudurpandiapuram village, Ottapidaram taluk, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu
Coordinates: 8.8649468, 78.1069887 (exact)
- Unit 1: 63 MW
- Unit 2: 63 MW
- Unit 3: 63 MW
Projected in service: 2010
Coal Source: Indonesia
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "IBPIL," Plants in Operation, accessed January 2022
- "Ind-Barath Power Infra Limited," Draft Red Herring, June 21, 2010, p. 176, 234, 428
- "Ind-Barath Power Gencom Ltd." Ind-Barath Infra Group presentation, slide 15, accessed August 2014
- "Invitation for Bids for sale of Ind-Barath Power Gencom Limited (In Liquidation)," Issued by Rajesh Chillale, Liquidator, January 20, 2022
- "Adani, Jindal Power Cos in Race to Buy Ind-Barath Thermal," Economic Times, June 22, 2022