Timor-1 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Timor-1 power station is a 2 x 50 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant proposed in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.
The satellite photo below shows where the plant will be built in Lifuleo, West Kupang, Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. Satellite photography from Planet shows construction occurring between January 2020 and June 2020.
Background on Plant
In the 2016-2025 long range plan, the project is shown at 2 x 50 MW. According to the plan, the project was previously 2 x 25 MW. It was delayed from 2018 to 2019. In the 2018-2027 long-range plan Unit 1 is delayed to 2022 and Unit 2 is delayed to 2023. In the 2019-2028 long-range plan Unit 1 is scheduled for 2022 and Unit 2 is scheduled for 2024.
The final Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the project was submitted in March 2018. The plant is located by a Marine National Reserve in which rare and endangered species may be present. In September 2019 Persero signed contracts for construction of the plants, with estimated construction times of 36 months for Unit 1 and 39 months for Unit 2.
In June 2020 residents and seaweed farmers in the vicinity of the plant complained that construction dust was causing lower seaweed yields and explosions at the construction site had cracked the walls of nearby houses.
- Sponsor: PT PLN Persero
- Parent company: PT PLN Persero
- Location: Lifuleo, West Kupang, Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -10.3519637, 123.4598816 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 50 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: Unit 1: 2022; Unit 2: 2022
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Project Number: 49203-002, Asian Development Bank, March 2018
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016, Table 6.11
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero, V-48
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-48
- PTPP Raih Kontrak Pembangunan 2 PLTU Senilai Rp 2,1 Triliun, Berita Satu, Sep. 10, 2019
- Proyek PLTU Timor 1 Kupang Diprotes Karena Mencemari Rumput Laut & Rusak Rumah, Merdeka, Jun. 20, 2020
- PLN Bakal Operasikan PLTU Timor 1 di Penghujung 2022, Ekonomi, Jun. 22, 2020