Trakya Emba power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Trakya Emba power station, also known as Thrace Integrated power station, is a proposed 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kırklareli province, Turkey.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant's apparent site, which is near Beğendik village, Demirköy district, Kırklareli province. The border with Bulgaria is about two miles away from the plant's proposed site.
Background on Plant
Local residents protested the project at an environmental hearing in October 2012; at the hearing, Tahir Işık, the mayor of the nearby town of İğneada, appealed to EMBA's president to abandon the project, warning that the plant's ash pond would threaten the nearby swamp forests in İğneada Forests National Park. In November 2012, a group of local residents, working together with the environmental organization DAYKO, camped out on the proposed plant's site as an act of protest and civil disobedience.
Later in November 2012, Turkey's Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning apparently refused to approve the project, citing potential damage to forests in the area. In 2013 the power station was reported as halted, although permit evaluation is ongoing.
In April 2016 EMBA called the project off, citing a lack of funds.
- Sponsor: EMBA Elektrik Üretim
- Parent company:
- Location: Beğendik village, Demirköy district, Kırklareli province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 41.9480915, 28.0414795 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 1,200 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Detaylar: Emba Elektrik Üretim A.Ş., EPDK website, accessed May 2014.
- İğneada'da Termik Santrale Karşı Mücadele, Bianet, Nov. 1, 2012.
- Milli parka termik santral isyan ettirdi, Milliyet, Oct. 31, 2012.
- Kırklareli'de Kurulması Planlanan Termik Santral, Haberler, Nov. 18, 2012.
- Termik Santral Başvurusunu Bakanlık Reddetti, Aktif Haber, Nov. 23, 2012.
- Çevre ve Şehircilik Bakanlığı son noktayı koydu, Gazete Trakya, Dec. 18, 2012.
- "Igneada Gozden Cikariliyor Mu?" Longozukoru.org, Jan 11, 2013
- Personal communication with CAN Europe, May 7, 2016
- "Termik santral iptal," Trakra, April 1, 2016
- Termik Santralin Yapılması Planlanan Lokasyon, Longozu Koru website, accessed May 2014.