Tufanbeyli coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Tufanbeyli coal mine is a surface mine, operated by Enerjisa Enerji Üretim, a subsidiary of Sabancı Holding, producing 7 million tonnes per annum, for the Tufanbeyli power station in Adana Province, Turkey.
The map below shows the mine and project site, in Tufanbeyli district, Adana province.
Background of Project
In 2006, Enerjisa Enerji Üretim (a partnership between Sabancı Holding and EON) acquired the rights to build a three-unit, 450-MW coal-fired power plant in the Tufanbeyli district of Adana province. The original plan to build the plant (with Prota Engineering as the lead contractor) was delayed for three years, however, due to the onset of the economic crisis.
In 2010, the $950-million project was revived, with SK Construction & Engineering and ITOCHU Corporation assigned the construction contract. Construction was originally expected to be completed in 2015, but the plant was inaugurated in 2016.
In January 2015, local residents protested against the use of foreign workers at the construction site, arguing that project developers should be using local labor.
- Sponsor: Enerjisa Enerji Üretim
- Parent company: Sabancı Holding (40%), EON (40%) and 20% listed on Istanbul stock market
- Location: Tufanbeyli district, Adana province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.18562, 36.26994 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 7 MTPA
- Reserves: 214 MT
- In service: 2016
- Coal type: Lignite
- Source of financing: 11 banks, led by Société Générale, underwritten by Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (KSure)
Articles and resources
- Tufanbeyli Thermal Power Plant, Prota Engineering website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Tufanbeyli Termik Santrali: Proje Tanıtım Dosyası, DOKAY-ÇED Çevre Mühendisliği Ltd., Dec. 2007.
- Direskeneli, Haluk. Some Thoughts on Adana Tufanbeyli Thermal Power Plant, Turkish Weekly, Oct. 26, 2009.
- Direskeneli, Haluk. New Thermal Power Plant Investment in Adana Tufanbeyli, Turkish Weekly, Dec. 2, 2010.
- ITOCHU is Awarded for [sic Coal Fired Power Plant in Tufanbeyli, Turkey], ITOCHU Corporation press release, May 17, 2011.
- "President Erdoğan Inaugurates Enerjisa Tufanbeyli Thermal Power Plant," Republic of Turkey, Apr 24, 2016
- Company Profile, Enerjisa website, accessed May 2018
- Sabanci Group In Brief, Sabanci Group website, accessed May 2018
- "KAPASİTE MEKANİZMASI OCAK AYI FATURAYA ESAS ÖDEME LİSTESİ", TEIAS website, accessed May 2018.
- Tufanbeyli Termik Santrali İnşaatındaki İşçilerin Çıkartılması Protesto Edildi, Haberler, 31 Jan. 2015.
- Enerjisa Gets Financing for Milestone Power Project, Global Trade Review, July 27, 2012.