Tuxpan-Tula Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Tuxpan-Tula Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Mexico.
- Operator: TC Energía México
- Parent Company: TC Energy (formerly TransCanada Corporation)
- Capacity: 886 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 178 miles / 287 km
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2022
The pipeline has a length of 287 kilometers and a diameter of 36 inches. It was originally scheduled for completion in 2018 but construction has been delayed due to the government's failure to properly consult with indigenous communities affected by the pipeline. In November 2018, TransCanada announced that construction had been further delayed by complications with local permitting and fee processes, and that construction was now scheduled for completion in 2020.
In January 2020 Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador announced that the pipeline will be rerouted away from areas in Puebla state that are held sacred by local indigenous groups, raising new questions about the timeline for the project's completion. Ongoing negotiations have left the commissioning date uncertain. A September 2020 report from Mexico's SENER (Secretary of Energy) showed that the pipeline was still only 87% complete, and other recent reports show the pipeline coming into service no earlier than 2022.
Residents of the Sierra Norte have opposed the the project on the grounds that it would damage the environment and their traditional way of life.
Articles and resources
- "Tula Pipeline Project". TC Energy. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- "Tula Pipeline Project Map" (PDF). TransCanada. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- "Sistema Tuxpan – Tula". TC Energía. Retrieved 2021-04-06.
- "U.S. natural gas exports to Mexico set to rise with completion of the Wahalajara system - Today in Energy". U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). July 6, 2020.
- "0766 CFE: Gasoducto Tuxpan – Tula". Proyectos México. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- Delays bloat TransCanada's Mexico pipeline budgets, BN Americas, Feb. 16, 2018
- TransCanada halts work on delayed Mexico gas lines, Argus Media, Nov. 20, 2018
- "AMLO promete desviar gasoducto Tuxpan-Tula". El Economista. January 5, 2020.
- "No se construirá gasoducto Tuxpan-Tula, promete AMLO". El Sol de México. January 4, 2020.
- "Mexico's president says will ask for planned gas pipeline to be rerouted". Reuters. January 4, 2020.
- "Segundo Informe de Labores (p 54)" (PDF). SENER (Secretaría de Energía). September 1, 2020.
- "Tienen 3 ductos mínimo avance". El Norte. September 24, 2020.
- "TC's Tula-Villa de Reyes Line to Begin Service in 2Q but Tuxpan-Tula Still Stuck". Natural Gas Intelligence. February 18, 2020.
- Rerouting pipeline away from ‘sacred lands’ seen as pragmatic, Mexico News Daily, January 7, 2020
Related GEM.wiki articles
[[Category: Proposed pipelines in Mexico]