Ulan coal mines
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Ulan coal mines are underground and surface mines, operated by Ulan Coal Mines Limited, a subsidiary of Glencore, producing 10.4 million tonnes per annum, near Mudgee, New South Wales, Australia.
The underground mines Ulan No.3 and Ulan West are operating, but surface operations at Ulan have not operated since 2014.
The map below shows the exact location of the Ulan coal mines. On its website, Ulan Coal states that the mine is located "near the village of Ulan in the central west of NSW, approximately 45 kilometers north-north-east of Mudgee and 25 kilometers north-east of Gulgong. Ulan Mine is located at the headwaters of the Goulburn River Catchment."
The Ulan mine and lease area is managed by Xstrata Coal Australia Pty Limited, which owns 90% of Ulan Coal Mines Ltd (UCML), with the remaining 10% held by its joint venture partner Mitsubishi Development.
In November 2010, Mitsubishi said that it and Swiss-based miner Xstrata PLC (XTA.LN) will roughly double the production capacity of the Ulan Coal mine in New South Wales state in Australia to 12.9 million metric tons a year, with commercial production targeted starting in 2014. Mitsubishi has a 10% stake in the mine while Xstrata holds the remainder. The two partners will invest A$1.3 billion in the expansion, the Japanese trading house said in a statement. The partners will sell the new output to Japan and other foreign customers.
The Ulan West expansion project was subject to a feasibility study and commissioned in 2012. The project cost $500 million to build and employ 800 people during construction and 435 when operating.
- Sponsor: Ulan Coal Mines Limited
- Parent Company: Glencore
- Location: Mudgee, New South Wales, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -32.242539, 149.749697 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 10.4 mtpa
- Total Resource: 245 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground
- Mining Method: longwall, continuous
- Workforce Size: 931 
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Ulan Coal, "About Us", Ulan Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- Ulan Coal website, About, accessed June 20, 2020
- "Mitsubishi Corp: To Double Australia Coal Mine Capacity By 2014" Fox Business, Nov. 16, 2010.
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). (The list is also available in Excel format here.)
- Ulan Mine Complex
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Xstrata Coal, "Xstrata Board approves US$1.1BN Ulan West Coal Project", Media Release, August 3, 2010.