Uong Bi power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Uông Bí power station is a 735-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Quảng Ninh province, Vietnam.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Uông Bí township, Quảng Ninh province.
The two units Uông Bí-1 coal power plant are 50 MW and 55 MW and were commissioned in 1975 and 1976, according to GreenID.. According to Global Energy Observatory the sizes are 2 x 55 MW and the commissioning date was 1978.
Unit 5 and Unit 6 are scheduled for retirement in 2021.
On Jan. 12, 2020, there was an explosion at Unit 7 that occurred after a break in its boiler tube.
Description of Expansion
Vietnam's 2000-2010 national energy plan called for a two-stage expansion to Uông Bí, with a first 300-MW coal-fired unit to be completed in 2005, and a second 300-MW unit in 2008. According to GreenID, the units were commissioned in 2007 and 2013 respectively.
In 2001, Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) began work on the first 300-MW, $305 million unit of Uông Bí-2, signing a construction contract with Vietnam Machinery Installation Corp. The first unit was completed in December 2006, but suffered from a breakdown soon thereafter; after repairs, the unit went back online in May 2009.
In May 2008, EVN broke ground on the second unit of Uông Bí-2, upgraded to 330 MW, with Chengda Engineering serving as general contractor; the completion date was projected for June 2011. Archival photography on Google Earth shows that Unit 8 was completed in 2014.
- Sponsor: Electricity of Vietnam
- Parent company:
- Location: Uông Bí township, Quảng Ninh province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 21.03906, 106.78555 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 735 MW (Units 5: 50 MW; Unit 6: 55 MW; Unit 7: 300 MW; Unit 8: 330 MW)
- Projected in service: Unit 7: 2007; Unit 8: 2014
- Coal Type: Anthracite
- Coal Source: Quảng Ninh province
- Source of financing: US$284 million in equity from Electricity of Vietnam
Articles and resources
- GreenID, June 2017
- Uong Bi Coal Power Plant Vietnam, Global Energy Observatory website, accessed Jan. 2014
- Nổ lớn ở Nhiệt điện Uông Bí: Có thể do trộn than nội địa với nhập khẩu, tuoitre.vn, Jan. 13, 2020
- International Business Publications. Doing Business and Investing in Vietnam Guide: Vol. 1: Strategic and Practical Information. Washington: Global Investment Center, 2013 (updated), pp 209-10.
- EVN Invests $305m to Expand Power Plant, China Promotion Ltd website, Oct. 8, 2001.
- Uong Bi Thermal Power Plant Goes Online, Sai Gon Giai Phong, May 22, 2009.
- Project News: Phase II Expansion Project of 1*330 MW Thermal Power Plant, Uong Bi Vietnam, Chengda Engineering website, accessed Jan. 2014.
- Uong Bi Thermoelectric Plan Expanded, Vietmaz, May 24, 2008.
- "Vietnam starts power plant expansion | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-12-17.