Uppada power station
Uppada power station is an existing 208-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power station near Komaragiri village in Kakinada, a port city in Andhra Pradesh which is owned an operated by Spectrum Power Generation.
A planned 1300 MW expansion plan was initially considered as a coal-fired project but is now being promoted as a gas-fired plant.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Kakinada village, East Godavri.
A February 2009 Ministry of Coal document indicated that Spectrum Power Generation were considering a second coal-based phase at the site of their existing plant. Stage II of the plant, the document stated, could be a 1,320 megawatt plant comprising two 660MW generating units. Coal for the project is indicated as being sought from Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, a Coal India subsidiary. In July 2011 the project was still listed by the Ministry of Coal as a pending application.
A 2010 document by Spectrum Power Generation indicates that the proposed project is now planned to be a 1,350 MW gas-fired project. On its website, Spectrum also refers to the project as being a gas-fired power station.
However, in October 2014 the company received a terms of reference for a coal-fired 350 MW Phase III, although there has been no updates or further permits.
Project Details of Phase III
Sponsor: Spectrum Power Generation
Location: Kakinada village, East Godavri district, Andhra Pradesh
Coordinates: 17.0587, 82.3097 (exact)
Capacity: 350 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permit and applications: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Oct. 27, 2014
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Spectrum Power Generation, "About Us", Spectrum Power Generation website, accessed February 2012.
- Ministry of Coal, "List of Thermal Power Plants...", February 23, 2009, page 22.
- Ministry of Coal, "Pending application of SEBs up to 31st July, 2011", Ministry of Coal, August 2011.
- Spectrum Power Generation, "350+ MW Natural Gas based CCPP Bid Enquiry Document for MPE Contract", EQ International, undated but approximately March 2010, page 3.
- Spectrum Power Generation, "Capacity Expansion Considerations- 1350 mw gas based expansion project", Spectrum Power Generation website, accessed February 2012.
- terms of Reference, India MoEF, Oct. 27, 2014