Usutu coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Usutu Coal Mine (also known as Vunene) is a surface and underground mine in Ermelo, Mpumalanga, South Africa.
It is unclear if the mine is still operating.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
Vunene operates the mine, which is owned by Ichor Coal. The coal mine has been producing coal on and off since the 1960s, most recently Ichor coal acquired the mine and first began producing coal there in 2015. The primary destination for the coal from this mine is Camden Power Station, a power station 5 kilometres away run by Eskom. The current projected life of the mine is 20+ years according to Ichor Coal 
- Operator: Vunene 
- Owner: Ichor Coal 
- Location: Ermelo, Mpumalanga, South Africa 
- Coordinates: -26.577649, 30.102459 (Exact or Approximate)
- Status: Mothballed
- Capacity: 1.92 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa)
- Total Resource: 153 million tonnes 
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Thermal)
- Mine Type: Surface and underground
- Start Year: 1960s 
- Source of Financing: