Vales Point A power station (replacement)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Vales Point A (replacement) power station is a proposal by Delta Electricity to build a new 660 MW plant on the site of the demolished Vales Point A plant in New South Wales, Australia.
Delta Electricity, which is jointly owned by Trevor St Baker and Brian Flannery, announced early in 2019 that it was seeking support for the proposal from the Australian Government's Underwriting New Generation Investments program.
In January 2019 St Baker told The Australian that he would submit a proposal to Australia's Minister for Energy, Angus Taylor, for government support from the Underwriting New Generation Investments program for three projects including a new A$2 billion 660 MW black coal plant in NSW's Hunter Valley at the Vales Point A power station site or at AGL's Liddell power station.The report claimed "St Baker has lined up a Chinese joint-venture partner" but did not name the company. St Baker said that financing the projects would not be sought from Australian banks but instead would rely solely on international lenders.
In March 2019 Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that Delta Electricity's proposal had been shortlisted but provided no details.
Subsequently, St Baker stated that the shortlisted project was for 20 MW upgrades of the two existing turbines at the Vales Point B plant. The plan for a new 660-MW plant appears to be cancelled.
The proposed plant would adjoin the existing 1320 MW Vales Point power station owned by Delta Electricity. (Delta Electricity have also flagged the possibility of the proposed plant being built on the the site of the nearby Liddell power station, which is slated for closure in 2022. However. the Liddell plant is owned by AGL which has rejected a proposal to sell the site as they have their own plans to redevelop the site.
The map below shows the location of the plant, near Mannering Park, New South Wales.
- Sponsor: Sunset Power International
- Parent company: Sunset Power International
- Location: Mannering Park, New South Wales, Australia
- Coordinates: -33.1610116, 151.5452521 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 660 MW
- In service:
- Coal type: Black
- Coal source: Hunter Valley, NSW
- Source of financing:
287 Elizabeth Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Phone: 02 4352 6111
Articles and Resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Perry Williams, "Chinese in $6bn clean coal plan", The Australian, January 19, 2019.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison, "Delivering affordable and reliable power", Media Release, March 26, 2019.
- Matthew Kelly and Nicole Hasham, "Federal government shortlists upgrade of Vales Point power station turbine", Newcastle Herald, March 26, 2019.