Varna power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Varna power station is a 630 MW gas-fired power station in Varna, Bulgaria. The gas-fired units were converted from previous coal-fired units. Also, the plant previously had 630 MW of coal-fired units that were retired in 2013 through 2015.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station on the northern shore of Lake Varna near the village of Ezerovo, 12 km to the west of Varna, eastern Bulgaria..
The plant previously consisted of six turbines of 210 MW each, and was fueled by anthracite coal imported mainly from the Ukraine. The coal-fired units began operation over the period 1968 to 1978. The plant was bought by the Czech energy company CEZ Group in 2006. As of 2016, in accordance with the environmental legislation of the European Union, the coal-fired power units has ceased operation.
According to the company's 2015 Annual Report: "Varna Power Plant Units 4, 5, and 6 have been shut down since January 1, 2013, January 1, 2014, and January 1, 2015, respectively, due to non-compliance with environmental limits set down in the integrated permit; Units 1, 2, and 3 are operating under a derogation regime, with limited operating hours per year.... No electricity and heat are planned to be generated at the Varna Power Plant in 2016 due to its suspended operation."
In 2018 SIGDA completed its acquisition of the plant from CEZ, with plans to restart production and to fuel three units (630 MW) on natural gas. A 2019 report announced Blocks 4, 5, and 6 had all undergone repairs and were operational running on natural gas. However, in 2019, Tomáš Pleskač, Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Czech power utility CEZ (the former plant owner) claimed that the plant had not been converted to gas at all.
In 2021 the Czech Republic opened an investigation into the sale of the company from state-owned CEZ to Sigda at below market price.
- Sponsor: TPP Varna EAD
- Parent company: SIGDA [30%], Ahmed Dogan [70%]
- Location: Varna, Bulgaria
- Coordinates: 43.19477, 27.765472 (exact)
- Gross Generating Capacity (operating): 630 MW
- Gross Generating Capacity (retired): 630 MW
- Coal Type: Anthracite
- Coal Source: Imported (mainly Ukraine)
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "TPP Varna EAD," CEZ Group, accessed March 2016
- "Annual Report," CEZ Group, 2015
- Bulgaria's competition watchdog approves sale of CEZ's Varna plant, Reuters, Dec 14 2017
- Bulgaria's Varna TPP plans to restart operations by end-July, See News, Mar 9 2021
- ИНФОРМАЦИЯ ЗА ПОВТОРНОТО ВЪВЕЖДАНЕ В ЕКСПЛОАТАЦИЯ, TPP Varna, Jun 7, 2019
- CEZ BOSS: TPP VARNA CANNOT PROVIDE COLD RESERVE, Bivol, Jul 9, 2019
- Czech Supreme Prosecutor’s Office launches investigation into the sale of Varna TPP to Ahmed Dogan following a report mentioning an ACF investigation, ACF, Jan 29, 2021
- Фирмен Профил на топлоелектрическа централа Варна, TPP Varna, accessed Apr 6 2021
- Czech senator refers CEZ' sale of Varna TPP to Bulgaria’s prosecution, BNE Intellinews, Nov 24 2019
- Основно оборудване, TPP Varna, accessed Apr 6, 2021