Vectren South is a subsidiary of Vectren, an Indiana electricity, gas and coal company.
On its website the company states Vectren South supplies gas an electricity to customers in southwestern Indiana and owns and operates electric power stations to supply both its own customers and to sell into the wholesale market. On its website it states that "total generation capacity is 1,425 MW and includes 1,295 MW of coal and gas-fired generation, 30 MW of wind power and 100 MW of purchased power." Coal for the power stations is bought from another Vectren subsidiary, Vectren Fuels.
Vectren South and Coal
Vectren South's power stations are:
- the F. B. Culley Generating Station at Newburgh, Ind., Warrick County;
- the A. B. Brown Generating Station at Mt. Vernon, Ind., Posey County; (this comprises two 250 megawatt caol-fired power units and two 80 megawatt natural gas or oil-fired units;
Southern Indiana Gas and Electric Company (SIGECO) F.B. Culley Plant Clean Air Act Settlement
On June 6, 2006 the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. EPA announced a Clean Air Act settlement with Southern Indiana Gas and Electric (SIGECO). The settlement resolves the EPA's claim that SIGECO violated New Source Review provisions of the Clean Air Act at its F. B. Culley Generating Station. The EPA noted that the settlement will eliminate approximately 10,500 tons of harmful air pollutants each year from the company's three coal-fired power plants at the Culley Station.
The EPA estimates that SIGECO will spend $30 million to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions. The company was also fined a $600,000 civil penalty.
"We are happy that SIGECO finally chose to resolve the United States’ claims through a consent agreement rather than battling us in court," said Assistant Attorney General Thomas L. Sansonetti. "This excellent settlement shows how the Department’s aggressive enforcement can help bring industry into compliance with our environmental laws, ultimately making for cleaner air for all citizens to enjoy. I hope defendants in our other cases take the hint that settling with the United States is the right thing to do.”
One Vectren Square
Evansville, IN 47708
P.O. Box 209
Evansville, IN 47702-0209
Telephone: (812) 491-4000
Toll Free: (800) 227-1376
Articles and Resources
- Vectren Corporation, "Discover Who We Are", accessed February 2009.
- Vectren Corporation, "Environmental Stewardship", Vectren Corporation website, accessed February 2009.
- "U.S. Reaches Settlement with Southern Indiana Gas & Electric Co. on Clean Air Act Power Plants Initiative," U.S. EPA, June 6, 2006
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- Indiana and coal
- United States and coal
- Global warming
- EPA Coal Plant Settlements
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|