Vijay coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Vijay Coal Mines is a cluster of three mines operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, is located in village Kendai, Tehsil Passan, District Korba, State Chhattisgarh, India.
The map below shows the location of the Vijay West Underground Coal Mine Project in village Kendai, Tehsil Passan, District Korba, State Chhattisgarh, India.
Background on Mine
The Vijay Coal Mines is a cluster of three mines Vijay East(planned), Vijay West (operational) and Vijay Central to be merged with Vijay West as Opencast. Vijay West mine project has a designed capacity of 0.5 MTPA on a mining lease area of 438.10 ha. It is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited. The project received its environment clearance on 15 April 2009.
Vijay West is now proposed to be combined with the Vijay Central mine, which was earlier allotted to Prakash Industries and Coal India Limited as joint venture, and was cancelled by the Supreme Court in Coalgate scam. The new mine Vijay West/Vijay Central will be an opencast mine and peak capacity of 3 MTPA.
Vijay East part of the Vijay coal block remains in the planning stage for now.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: village Kendai, Tehsil Passan, District Korba, State Chhattisgarh, India. 
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 22.854326, Longitude 82.321140
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity:0.50 MTPA
- Total Resource: 37.67 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 21.95 MT
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal
- Mine Size: 438.10 Ha
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:Environment Clearance for Vijay West Underground Coal Mine Project , MoEF&CC India, 15 April 2009
- Status: Proposed
- Size of Expansion: 3 MTPA
- Permits and Applications: Ministry of coal press information, 30 July 2018
Articles and resources
- Environment Clearance for Vijay West Underground Coal Mine Project , MoEF&CC India, 15 April 2009
- summary of the Vijay Central mine, Ministry of coal, accessed on 21 April, 2020
- Ministry of coal press information, 30 July 2018
- Coal reserves as per CMPDI, accessed on April 9, 2020