Vilvoorde power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor project.|
|Report an error|
Vilvoorde power station is a 264-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Vilvoorde, Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium.
Due to underutilization, Electrabel entered this plant into the Strategic Reserve from 2014 to 2017 (3 years). The plant has since re-entered the market, and Electrabel is planning to expand the site. It purchased the land from EMGB and has proposed an 870 MW expansion.
In February 2021, Enerdata reported that Electrabel "will still go ahead" with its proposal for a "870 MW unit [...] on the site of the 255 MW Vilvoorde gas-fired power plant acquired from EM Generation Brussels (EMGB) in April 2020)".
The Flemish Minister of Energy Zuhal Demi refused a permit application for the proposed 870 mw Vilvoorde power plant in November 2021. In August 2021, Engie was considering an appeal, and in December it announced it intended to submit a new application.
- Sponsor: Electrabel
- Parent company: Engie SA
- Location: Vilvoorde, Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
- Coordinates: 50.9414, 4.4246 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 264 MW
- Gross generating capacity (proposed): 870 MW
Articles and Resources
- Annual electricity capacity update: Belgian supply to stabilise in period before nuclear phase-out, ICIS, Joachim Moxon, Jan 17, 2017
- Belgium: acquisition of the Vilvoorde site and gas-fired power plant, ENGIE, Apr 17, 2020
- "BASF cancels plan to build a 850 MW CCGT project with Engie in Belgium | Enerdata". www.enerdata.net. Retrieved 2021-12-09.
- "Energiebevoorrading van België is niet langer zeker nu ook gascentrale in Vilvoorde geen vergunning krijgt: hoe zal worden vermeden dat het licht straks uitgaat?". www.nieuwsblad.be (in Nederlands). Retrieved 2021-12-09.
- "La Wallonie autorise une centrale à gaz (900 MW) d'Engie". Montel (in français). Retrieved 2021-12-09.
- Newmedia, R. T. L. (2021-12-09). "Engie compte introduire une nouvelle demande de permis pour sa centrale au gaz à Vilvorde". RTL Info (in français). Retrieved 2021-12-09.
- Elia "Detailed production park" data set dated July 3, 2019
- Transparency - Plant Units Engie, accessed December 2019
- FRESNA (FIAS Renewable Energy Systems & Network Analysis) version 4.1 (July 2019)
- ENTSO-E Transparency Platform, ID 22W20181015PU--J accessed November 2019
- Elia "Detailed production park" data set dated December 8, 2021
- Global Energy Observatory ID 41969, accessed January 2020
- Edwardes-Evans, Henry (2021-04-06). "Advanced Power sells 920 MW Belgian gas plant project to Germany's RWE". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-12-09.