|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Vorgashorskaya Coal Mine is an operating underground coal mine in Komi Republic, Russia.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Vorgashor (Vörgashor), in Vorkuta (Vörkuta) Urban District, Komi Republic, Russia.
Vorgashorskaya Coal Mine engages in mining, producing, and supplying bituminous coal in the Russian Federation. The company is based in Vorkuta, Russian Federation. Vorgashorskaya Coal Mine is a subsidiary of the joint stock company Severstal.
Operations began at the Vorgashorskaya mine in November 1975. In 1979, the mine reached its design capacity.
In June 2012, the Vorgashorskaya mine, which previously existed as an independent legal entity, became part of Vorkutaugol OJSC.
In 2019, Severstal acquired licenses for two sites adjacent to its Vorgashorskaya mine. This expansion would extend the life of the Vorgashorskaya mine by five years, from 2024 to 2029. The company plans to start developing reserves in this expanded area in the fall of 2022, with the first lava launching in 2024.
- Sponsor: Vorkutaugol
- Parent Company: Severstal-Resource
- Location: Vorgashor (Vörgashor), Vorkuta (Vörkuta) Urban District, Komi Republic, Russia
- GPS Coordinates: 67.5953177, 63.6160208 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 2.9 Mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Metallurgical coal of grade 1Zh and GZhO
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground
- Start Year: 1975
- Source of Financing:
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: Increase capacity by 2.5 Mtpa to 5.4 Mtpa
- Mineable Reserves: 18.6 million tons
- Start Year: 2023
Articles and Resources
- Шахта «Воргашорская» АО «Воркутауголь», Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2021.
- "Vorgashorskaya Coal Mine" Bloomberg, Oct. 20, 2011.
- "Mine "Vorgashorskaya"," "Severstal website," accessed July 2020.
- "Severstal Extends Life of Vorgashorskaya Mine," "Russia Business Today," September 6, 2019.
- "Severstal Vorkutaugol Acquires 2 New Sections of the Vorgashorskoye Coal Field," "Metal Expo website," September 13, 2019.
- "Severstal Vorkutaugol Acquires 2 New Sections of the Vorgashorskoye Coal Field," "Metal Expo," September 13, 2019.
- "ANNUAL REPORT 2019," "Severstal company," 2019.
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Global use and production of coal
- Australia and coal
- Britain and coal
- China and coal
- Colombia and coal
- Germany and coal
- Indonesia and coal
- Japan and coal
- New Zealand and coal
- Russia and coal
- South Africa and coal
- United States and coal
- Coal reserves