VostokUgol-Dikson Coal Cluster in Taimyr
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The VostokUgol-Dikson Coal Cluster in Taimyr — which has not officially been named — is a proposed coal development located near the village of Dikson, in the Taimyr Dolgan-Nenets district, in the Krasnoyarsk Territory, Russia. The cluster has two different coal fields, Malolembersky and Nizhneleleberovsky.
The proposed coal mine is located near the village of Dikson, shown below.
This project was first proposed as part of the execution of a decree by the President of Russia to increase the cargo traffic along the Northern Sea Route to 80 million tons by 2024. VostokUgol plans to produce and transport up to 20 million tons of coal along this route in 2024.
VostokUgol, the owner of the project, established the Arctic Mining Company to extract coal in Taimyr in 2014.
In 2017, VostokUgol announced that the company planned to mine up to 30 million tons of coal in Taimyr by 2022-2023 and build two deep-water ports there with a capacity of over 10 million tons per year. It was supposed to start mining in 2019; it is unclear if this has begun.
In 2020, the company announced that they now plan to produce 19 million tons of coal by 2024. But the Ministry of Natural Resources considers the real production volume for the VostokUgol project to be only 1 million tons per year by 2024.
According to a document from the Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation, the construction project was developed and approved for the coal mine Malolemberovsky and Malolemberovsky coal deposits. The construction project of the Nizhneleleberovsky coal deposit was developed and is in the process of getting approved.
- Sponsor: VostokUgol-Dixon / Arctic Mining Company (AGK)
- Parent Company: VostokUgol
- Location: Near the village of Dikson, in the Taimyr Dolgan-Nenets district, in the Krasnoyarsk Territory, Russia.
- GPS Coordinates: 73.5072265, 80.5350454 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: The company says they plan to produce 19 million tons of coal by 2024. But the Ministry of Natural Resources considers the real production volume for the VostokUgol project to be only 1 million tons per year by 2024.
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: Malolemberovskoye field — 2 million tons. Nizhnelemberovskoye field — 67 million tons.
- Coal type: Anthracite of grades grades A and T
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type:
- Start Year: 2024
- Source of Financing:
Related GEM.wiki articles
- ""VostokUgol-Dikson"," "VostokUgol website," accessed July 2020.
- "Bossov decided to sell his coal project in Taimyr to Rosatom," "RosBiznesConsulting (RBK) website," February 3, 2020.
- Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation, "Strategy and Programme for Russia’s Coal Industry Development to 2035," January 2020.
- ""VostokUgol" Dmitry Bosov will take on the production of "Arctic Carboniferous"," "RosBiznesConsulting (RBK) website," March 29, 2017.