Wards Well - Lancewood coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Wards Well - Lancewood coal project is a proposed mine located north West of Emerald, Queensland, Australia.
The map below shows the proposed location of the Wards Well mine.
BHP Billiton discussed the concept study phase in a 2019 presentation.The company lists it as a possible open cut mine producing both metallurgical and thermal coal from the Bowen Basin in Queensland. Later references are only made to metallurgical coal.
In 2021, Stanmore Resources Limited bought BHP's interest in BMC. The transaction revealed that there has been no measured resources or exploration activity on the site.
- Sponsor:Stanmore Resources Limited 
- Parent Company: Stanmore Resources Limited (50%), Mitsubishi (50%)
- Location: 60 km north west of Emerald, Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -21.598813, 147.958654 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 6 mtpa
- Total Resource: 1 billion tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground, longwall mining
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- BHP, "Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Metals, Mining and Steel Conference, Presentation", page 12 BHP, 14 May 2019.
- Vitrinite, "Denham Park – Hard Coking Target" Vitrinite, accessed 15 October 2019.
- BHP Billiton, 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, BHP Billiton, September 2009, page 90.
- BHP, "Annual Report 2019" BHP, Page 282, May 2019.
- https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20211108/pdf/452pcvst8l1wzl.pdf Stanmore Resources to acquire BHP's interest in BMC], Stanmore Resources, November 8, 2021
- "Chapter 34: Cumulative Impacts: Byerwen Coal Project," "QCoal Group," accessed June 2020.
- Andrew J. Mutton, "QUEENSLAND COALS: Physical and Chemical Properties, Colliery and Company Information: 14th Edition," "Department of Natural Resources and Mines: Bureau of Mining and Petroleum," 2003.
- Marcus Randolph, "Steelmaking materials briefing", BHP Billiton, Slide 34, 30 September 2011.