Weiqiao Zouping-1 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Weiqiao Zouping power station (魏桥集团邹平第一热电厂) is a 5,280-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant under development in Shandong Province, China.
The photo below shows the project site in Zouping County.
Background on Plant
Weiqiao Zouping power station is a 8 x 660 MW coal plant under development in Zouping County by Shandong Weiqiao Group. The project is on a newly cleared brownfield site. Unit 1 was completed in 2016 and units 2-5 in 2017. Units 6-8 are still under development.
In August and September 2017, China's central government Environmental Protection Inspection Group 3 (中央第三环境保护督察组) spent a month in Shandong Province, to inspect the province's environmental protection work. In its final inspection report, the Group found that Shandong Weiqiao Group illegally built 45 coal power units in Shandong since 2013.
In May 2018, the Shandong Provincial government responded to the inspection report with a plan to address the wrongdoings. According to the province, 33 of Weiqiao's 45 illegal coal power plants had since completed the necessary procedures to receive environment clearance and continue operating; 12 of the units did not complete any procedures and should stop construction and operation immediately. Among the 12 units, 4 units should stop construction, and 8 units should stop operation.
Weiqiao Zouping-1 power station Units 1-8 were among the units told to stop operation and development by the province.
Planet satellite photos show that by December 2019, units 1–5 were operating again, as well as unit 6.
Shandong Weiqiao Group says regulation will lead to widespread lay-offs
In April 2018, Shandong Weiqiao Group and Xinfa Group responded to reports the central government planned to regulate captive coal plants by saying the regulations would lead to widespread lay-offs. According to the companies, the regulations will be met with 180,000 workers losing their jobs at Shandong Weiqiao Group, and 80,000 at Xinfa Group.
- Sponsor: Shandong Hongqiao Limited
- Parent company: Shandong Weiqiao Group
- Location: Weiqiao township, Zouping County, Binzhou prefecture, Shandong Province, China
- Coordinates: 36.9106725, 117.7853572 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-6), Shelved (Units 7-8)
- Gross capacity: 5,280 MW (Units 1-8: 660 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Start date: 2016 (Unit 1), 2017 (Units 2-5)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "中国华电工程(集团)有限公司-公司新闻," Jan 28, 2015
- "魏桥传奇： 起于油棉小厂长于纺织壮于电力强于铝业的魏桥创业," 2015-10-04
- "我集团践行节能减排又迈出坚实新步伐——6×30兆瓦热电机组关停拆除," Weiqiao Pioneering, 2015-8-21
- "魏桥因自备电厂再遭点名 违规建设发电机组45台," Jiemian, 2018/05/31
- "山东省公开中央环境保护督察整改方案," China MEP, 2018年05月29日
- "滨州市中央环保督察反馈问题整改情况公示表（第三批）," Shandong Province MEP, July 2, 2018
- "“24万人下岗给你们看”！自备电厂或将迎来史上最严整治风暴," Sohu, 2018-04-23