|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
TheWilpinjong Mine is a coal mine, operated by Wilpinjong Coal, a subsidiary of Peabody Energy, in Wollar, New South Wales, Australia.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine accesses the Ulan Seam, which has yielded coal for 30 years. The mine is ramping up to produce 9 million tons (8.2 million tonnes) by 2011. Coal from Wilpinjong fuels local Bayswater and Liddell power stations as part of a nearly 20-year coal supply contract with Macquarie Generation, an Australian state-owned electricity generating corporation. The mine's coal is also exported through the Port of Newcastle to customers in Asia.
The mine was commissioned in 2006. Coal is mined by a contractor from reserves that Peabody controls. During 2008, the Wilpinjong Mine sold 7.3 million tons of thermal coal.
Peabody is pursing a life of mine extension that would include mining an additional 800 hectares and adding 1 million tonne of additional capacity (from 15 million tonnes per annum to 16 million tonnes per annum). The project has met resistance from the local residents in Wollar.
- Owner: Wilpinjong Coal
- Parent company: Peabody Energy
- Location: Wollar, New South Wales, Australia
- GPS coordinates: -32.332, 149.885
- Production: 12.88 million tons (2020); 11.97 (2021)
- Type of coal: Thermal
- Mine type: Surface
- Equipment: Truck and shovel
- Number of employees:
- Recoverable Reserves: 196 million tons
- Start Year: 2006
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
Coal in Australia
- Australia and Post-Kyoto Protocol negotiations on greenhouse gas emissions
- Australian Coal Association
- The Australian Coal Association's Proposed Carbon Capture and Storage Taskforce
- Coal-to-Liquids in Australia
- Nonviolent direct actions against coal
- Coal promoters in Australia
- ↑ "New South Wales Operations" Peabody Energy Website, October 2009
- ↑ "Peabody Annual Report 10K through December 31, 2008" Edgar Online, Filed February 27, 2009
- ↑ Peabody Energy,Wilpinjong Extension Project, New South Wales Planning Portal, accessed June 2022
- ↑ Xanthe Gregory,Wollar's remaining community opposes further expansion of Peabody Energy's open cut coal mine, ABC News, 14 Feb 2022