Wilton and Fairhill coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Wilton and Fairhill coal project is a proposed open-cut coking coal mining project which would lie 45 kilometres north east of Emerald, in the Bowen Basin, Queensland, Australia. Futura Resources and Sojitz Coal, who are proposing the mine say that the mine could last for 25 years.
Sojitz have re-opened the formerly BMA Gregory Crinum mine close to the proposed Wilton and Fairhill mines. The company intends to use the infrastructure at the Gregory Crinum mine to process the coal from the other mine.
The undated image below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine project.
Coal Mine Background
The project is subject to two mining licenses. Wilton is the more advanced of the two projects which are fundamentally different ends of the same deposit. Fairhill has a JORC Resource of 337 million tonnes of Inferred Resource, the Wilton project has 2277 million tonnes of JORC resource, of which 200 million tonnes has the important "Measured" classification.
An exploration permit was granted for Wilton in May 2019.
The Wilton Coal Company (which routes to the Futura Resources website from a Queensland Government webpage suggesting it is a subsidiary) has held exploration rights for about 12,000 hectares near Emerald since 2011. Plans for one of Australia’s largest coalmines, producing 10m tonnes a year, were abandoned during an environmental impact study process in 2015, when the coal price dropped to about half its current value.
- Sponsor: Futura Resources and Sojitz Coal
- Parent Company:
- Location: 45 kilometres north east of Emerald
- GPS Coordinates: -23.412611, 148.576971 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 2.5 mtpa (1.7 mtpa at Fairhill)
- Total Resource: 2.6 billion tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 700 mt
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Open-cut
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Futura Resources, "World-Class Hard Coking Coal Project, Bowen Basin Queensland", Futura Resources website, accessed 8 January 2020.
- Steel Guru, "Baker Steel acquires royalty stake in Wilton and Fairhill future production for AUD 6 million", Steel Guru website, 4 February 2019.
- Peter Ker, "BHP Billiton sells Gregory Crinum coal for $100m", Financial Review, 30 May 2018.
- Sojitz Corporation, "Business Overview", Sojitz website, accessed 8 January 2020.
- Elizabeth Fabri, "Emerald: Gem of the Bowen", Australian Mining Review, 9 August 2018.
- Futura Resources, "Operations", Futura Resources website, accessed 8 January 2020.
- Shift Miner, "Miners at the gate", Steel Guru website, 24 March 2019.
- Queensland Government, "Permits Granted between 1/05/2019 and 31/05/2019", Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy website, 29 November 2019.
- Queensland Government, "Current environmental authority application or amendment documents", Department for Environment and Science website, 24 March 2019.
- Ben Smee, "Plans to mine 6.2bn tonne Queensland coal deposit quietly revived ", Guardian, 27 March 2018.
- Futura Resources, "News and announcements", Futura Resources website, August 2018.
- Queensland Country Life Magazine, " Wilton and Fairhill coal mines could be running by the end of 2019", Queensland Country Life website, 21 March 2019.
- Advice to decision maker on coal mining project, Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, June 2020