Winchester South coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The image below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine project.
As of June 2020, Whitehaven has lodged an application for a 15 mtpa open cut mine, and are preparing the draft environmental impact statement. They have many steps to go before the project is approved. The company is hoping to bring the mine into production by 2023.
- Parent Company: Whitehaven Coal (75%), Scentre Group (25%)
- Location: Located 30km south-east of Moranbah, in Queensland’s well-established Bowen Basin.
- GPS Coordinates: -22.1508629, 148.1757381 (proposed)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 15 mtpa
- Total Resource: 530 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 130 Mt
- Coal type: high quality coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Depth: 150m (max)
- Mine Type: Surface, open cut
- Start Year: 2023
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "Whitehaven to acquire Winchester South Project from Rio Tinto," "Whitehaven Coal," March 22, 2018.
- Rio Tinto, 2009 Annual Report: Mineral resources", Rio Tinto, 2010.
- "Winchester South Project," "Whitehaven Coal website," accessed June 2020.
- "Winchester South Project," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed June 2020.