|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Wolverine mine is a surface mine, operated by Conuma Coal Resources, producing 1.5 million tonnes per annum, near Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
The mine currently has an expansion plan, called the "Wolverine-Hermann Amendment Project," to produce an additional 1 million tonnes for the next ten years.
The satellite photo below shows the mine near Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
The Wolverine coal mine operated from 2006 until it went into care and maintenance in April 2014 due to low coal prices. In September 2016, Conuma Coal Resources Ltd. purchased Wolverine from Western Coal, a subsidiary of Walter Energy, and the mine re-opened in January 2017. In 2019, Conuma posted on its website that the mine produces over 1.5 million tons of coal per year. The site has proven reserves of 8.8 million tons.
The Perry Creek Pit is now nearing the end of its coal resources and Conuma is proposing to develop the Hermann Pit. This project is known as the Wolverine-Hermann Amendment Project and requires provincial permits to proceed. The Wolverine-Hermann Amendment Project will allow for the continued direct employment of over 300 employees and 1000 indirect jobs for families in the Peace River area. The Hermann Pit will provide coal for the continued operation of the Wolverine Coal Processing Plant; Wolverine Mine operations employees will be transferred from the Perry Creek Pit to the Hermann Pit. Like the Perry Creek Pit, the Hermann Pit would produce coal by open-pit mining methods and has the potential to produce approximately 9 million tons of metallurgical coal for sale in the export market. Coal from the Hermann Pit would be transported to Wolverine via the coal haul route, processed at the Wolverine processing plant, and shipped to market by rail from the Wolverine loadout facility.
- Owner: Conuma Coal Resources Limited
- Parent company: ERP Compliant Fuels
- Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 55.0608535,-121.2530692 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Production: 1.5 million tonness per year
- Start year: 2006
- Mineable reserves: 8.8 million tonnes
- Coal type: Met, bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface
- Number of employees: 325, with another 100 from Hermann expansion
Project Expansion Details
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 0.8 to 1.1 million tonnes per annum
- Mine expansion size:
- Start Year: 2019
- Source of Financing:
- Life of Mine:10 years
Articles and resources
- British Columbia, Press Release, Hermann Coal Mine Project Approved, November 24, 2008
- Wolverine Mine Overview, BC Mine Information, accessed October 2017.
- Wolverine Mine, Mining Data Solutions, accessed October 2019.
- Wolverine Mine, Conuma Coal Resources website, accessed October 2019.
- Wolverine-Hermann Amendment Project, September 2019.