Xifeng power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Xifeng power station (庆阳西峰热电) is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired CHP power plant in Gansu Province, China.
With no developments since the plant was permitted for construction in April 2016, plans for the plant appear to be cancelled.
The map below shows the location where the plant would be built in Xiaojin Town, Xifeng District, Qingyang Prefecture, Gansu Province.
Background on Project
Qingyang Xifeng Cogen Power is planning to build a coal-fired CHP power plant with a total planned capacity of 2 x 350 MW in Xifeng District, Qingyang City.
The plant was initially sponsored by China Huaneng Gansu Energy Development Co., but later the sponsor shifted to Zhonglongjian Power Construction Co. The co-sponsors include Gansu Energy Group and Qingyang Energy & Chemical Group.
The project received permit for construction in April 2016.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Plant halted by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
- Sponsor: Qingyang Xifeng Cogen Power Co
- Parent company: Zhonglongjian Power Construction
- Location: Xiaojin Town, Xifeng District, Qingyang Prefecture, Gansu Province, China
- Coordinates: 35.583892, 107.619378(exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1 and 2: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source: 大唐甘肃陇东能源有限公司刘园子煤矿, 陕西长武亭南煤业有限责任公司亭南煤矿.
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "庆阳市西峰2×35 万千瓦热电联产项目环境影响报告书," Gansu Environmental Protection Bureau, 2017-5
- "华能集团打造甘肃能源“巨无霸”," Gansu Daily, 2012-12-25
- Ailun Yang and Yiyun Cui, "Global Coal Risk Assessment: Data Analysis and Market Research," World Resources Institute working paper, November 2012
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12