Xinyou Qitai power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Xinyou Qitai power station (新疆信友能源投资公司奇台发电厂) is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant under development in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Qitai County.
Background on Project
An additional 2 x 660 MW has been proposed, units 3-4.
With no developments since July 2015, units 3-4 appear to be cancelled.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration suspended 85 planned and under-construction coal power projects with a total capacity of over 100GW in 13 provinces, including units 1-2 of Xinyou Qitai power station. The NEA said the projects included should be postponed to the 14th Five Year period (2021-2025).
For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
July 2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017 China's NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
Xinyou Qitai power station Units 1-2 are among the postponed coal-burning units listed in July 2017, and also appeared on an updated list of postponed projects released in September 2017. Units 3-4 are therefore likely postponed until after 2020.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2019-2020: Plant commissioned
In March 2018 construction on units 1-2 was revived. Unit 1 was commissioned in January 2019; the unit is listed as a 2019 emergency back-up power source. Unit 2 was commissioned in December 2020.
- Sponsor: Xinjiang Xinyou Energy Investment Company Limited
- Parent company: Shanxi Xinyou Investment Group (99%), Other (1%)
- Location: Xiheishan Industrial Park, Qitai County, Changji Hui Autonomous Prefecture, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 44.5544,90.2572 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-2), Cancelled (Units 3-4)
- Gross capacity: 2,640 MW (Units 1-4: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Start year: 2019 (Unit 1), 2020 (Unit 2)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "SEPCO1 Kicks Off Construction on Coal-Fired Qitai Project in Xinjiang," Industrial Info Resources, May 14, 2014
- "关于新疆信友能源奇台2×660MW煤电项目环境影响报告书的批复," China MEP, 2014年09月16日
- "新疆核准3个民间资本电源项目," 亚心网, 2015年05月19日
- "奇台县全速推进准东电厂建设," 新疆能源网, 2015年07月14日
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "信友奇台项目1号机组圆满完成168小时试运行," PowerChina SEPCO1, 2019-01-31
- "新疆信友奇台项目2×66万千瓦机组项目2号机组投产发电 - 北极星火力发电网". news.bjx.com.cn. 2020-12-18. Retrieved 2020-12-18.