Yacuiba-Rio Grande Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Yacuíba-Río Grande gas pipeline, also known as GASYRG, is an operating natural gas pipeline passing through the departments of Tarija, Chuquisaca, and Santa Cruz in southeastern Bolivia.
- Operator: YPFB Transierra S.A
- Owner: YPFB
- Current capacity: 7.3 billion cubic meters per year
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: 268 miles / 432 kilometers
- Diameter: 32 inches
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2003
The Yacuíba-Río Grande pipeline (GASYRG) transports natural gas from the gas fields of southern Bolivia to the Río Grande compression plant in Santa Cruz province. The ANH Administrative Resolution No 1988/2013 from August 2013 shows that the Yacuiba-Rio Grande Pipeline is made up of four sections: Yacuiba-Caigua, Caigua-Taquiperenda, Taquiperenda-Saipurú, and Saipurú-Rio Grande.
Running parallel to the older YABOG gas pipeline, the GASYRG pipeline is 432 km (268 miles) in length, with a diameter of 32 inches and a capacity of 20 million cubic meters per day (7.3 billion cubic meters per year). It is designed to accommodate four compression stations, with one already in operation 8km south of Villamontes in the department of Tarija.
The pipeline is operated by YPFB Transierra S.A. The company, originally founded in November 2000 under the name Transierra, was fully nationalized in August 2014 when the Bolivian government paid US$133 million to purchase shares previously owned by energy giants Petrobras (44.5%) and Total (11%). The remaining 44.5% of Transierra's shares were already owned by YPFB Andina, a subsidiary of Bolivia's state-owned oil and gas company.
Articles and resources
- "The Company", YPFB Transierra website, accessed March 2018
- "Yacuiba To Rio Grande Gas Pipeline Gasyrg", A Barrel Full website, accessed March 2018
- "The Yacuíba-Rio Grande Gas Pipeline Layout". YPFB TRANSIERRA S.A. Retrieved 2022-07-29.
- "YPFB logra hegemonía del transporte de hidrocarburos con la Nacionalización de Transierra", YPFB press release, August 5, 2014
- "Construcción del gasoducto paralelo al YABOG comenzará a fin de año". Agencia de Noticias Fides. June 21, 2001.