Yeosu Hanwha power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Yeosu Hanwha power station is an operating power station of at least 250-megawatts (MW) in Hanwha Yeosu chemical plant, Yeosu, North Jeolla, South Korea. It is also known as Yosu Hanwha power station, 여수 한화.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Yeosu Hanwha power station||Hanwha Yeosu chemical plant, Yeosu, North Jeolla, South Korea||34.82357, 127.66519 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 1, Unit 2: 34.82357, 127.66519
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||operating||coal - bituminous||125||subcritical||2010||–|
|Unit 2||operating||coal - bituminous||125||subcritical||2010||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||Hanwha Energy Corp [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||Hanwha Energy Corp [100.0%]|
Project-level captive use details
- Captive industry use (heat or power): chemicals
- Captive industry: Both
The plant is located at the Hanwha Yeosu chemical plant in the city of Yeosu. It consists of two 125 MW subcritical steam units that began operating in 2010. It is owned by Hanwha Chemical Corp. of the Hanwha Group.
In November 2021, Hanwha Energy and other power station owners entered into a voluntary pollution reduction agreement with the Yeongsan River Basin Environment Agency.
In May 2022, Hanwha Energy signed a contract with TotalEnergies for the supply of LNG to a new 1000 MW plant planned for operation in 2024. The company also discussed plans to convert the Yeosu coal plant to natural gas as well.
In July 2022, an explosion occurred at the power station during a routine equipment inspection.
In February 2023, a fire broke out at the plant's coal unloading facility. While no casualties were reported, locals voiced concern over the frequency of accidents occurring at the coal-fired units over the past seven years. 
Articles and Resources
- "Company Overview," Hanwha Group, accessed January 2016
- “About Yeosu,” Hanwha Energy, accessed November 2021
- “About Hanwha Energy,” Hanwha Energy, accessed November 2021
- “"오염물질 배출 할당량 이하로"…영산강환경청·9개 사업장 협약,” yna.co.kr, November 17 2021
- “Hanwha Energy and TotalEnergies to Collaborate in LNG Industry,” Business Korea, May 25, 2022
- “여수 한화솔루션 공장서 폭발사고..인명 피해 없어,” Kwangju Broadcasting Company, July 29, 2022
- “[종합 여수산단 한화에너지 하역시설 보수 작업 중 화재 발생,” Economist.co.kr, Feb. 18, 2023
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.