Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station (Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya is Russian for South Kuzbass) is a 554-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kemerovo province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Kaltan town, Kemerovo province.
Background on Plant
The eight-unit, 554-MW coal-fired Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station is owned by Mechel. The plant’s eight units were brought online between 1951 and 1956. Although the turbine units have rated capacity of 590 MW, as of June 2021, the Mechel company website lists the plant as having only 554 MW of capacity.
The Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station is deeply unprofitable to operate: the plant has operated at a loss for 11 of the last 12 years. In 2020, the plant recorded a net loss of RUR 126 million. In March 2021, four companies took PJSC Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya GRES to arbitration court, aiming to force the power station into bankruptcy to force it to pay debts owed to the four companies. The financial woes of the Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station are part of a larger saga of financial trouble for Mechel, which some observers speculate will soon be forced into bankruptcy due to major outstanding debts that the company has no ability to pay.
Environmental and safety violations
In September 2020 it was reported that an inspection of the plant found 84 violations of various laws, including a failure to examine boilers, high-pressure heaters, and steam pipelines that were near the end of their service life, and violations involving failures to repair electrical equipment. Another inspection in February 2021 found that the lining of boiler unit 5 was severely malfunctioning and operating under excessive pressure. The inspection stated that this gross violations of safety protocol posed an immediate threat to the life and health of workers. As a result of the inspection, a court ordered that the boiler suspend operations for 30 days.
- Sponsor: Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya GRES
- Parent company: Mechel
- Location: Kaltan town, Kemerovo province, Russia
- Coordinates: 53.511626, 87.264498 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 554 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1951-56
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source: Kuznetsk Coal
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Yuzhno-kuzbasskaya Powerplant, Enipedia, accessed June 2018.
- Южно-Кузбасская ГРЭС, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Yuzhno-Kuzbasskaya power station website, accessed June 2018.
- Южно-Кузбасская ГРЭС, Mechel, Accessed June 13, 2021
- Южно-Кузбасская ГРЭС "Мечела" 15-й год подряд не планирует выплачивать дивиденды, Interfax, May 21, 2021
- Четыре компании в марте захотели обанкротить Южно-Кузбасскую ГРЭС Мечела, Interfax, Mar. 19, 2021
- Степанова В долгах как в шелках: холдинг «Мечел» рискует обанкротиться?, Regnum, Mar. 23, 2021
- Почти 100 нарушений нашли на ТЭЦ в кузбасской Юрге, Interfax Russia, Sep. 15, 2020
- В Кузбассе за грубые нарушения закрыли паровой котёл ГРЭС, Sibdepo, Feb. 11, 2021