Zemestan-Yurt coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Zemestan-Yurt Coal Mine (زمستان-یورت) is a coal mine in Azadshahr, Iran.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
On 3 May 2017, an explosion occurred at a depth of 1,200 meters in a tunnel of the Zemestan-Yurt coal mine, Golestan Province, Iran, when miners were trying to power a locomotive using an external battery. 42 people were killed in the accident and at least 75 injured, primarily from burns and inhalation of toxic gas.
- Operator: N/A
- Owner: N/A
- Location: Azadshahr, Golestan, Iran
- Coordinates: 37.02810872 55.29398914 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 0.036 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa)
- Total Reserves:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Met)
- Mine Type: Underground
- Workforce Size: 500
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Iran coal mine death toll confirmed as 35". Agencia EFE. 8 May 2017.
- "Iranian state TV: Death toll in mine explosion rises to 42". AP. 9 May 2017.