Zibulo coal mine

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset
Sub-articles:
Related-articles:

The Zibulo coal mine is an operating opencast and underground coal mine near Ogies, in Mpumalanga, South Africa.[1]

The mine has a proposed expansion, to extend production to increase production a further 8.4 million tonnes.[1]

Location

The map below shows the exact location of the project.

Loading map...

Background

The construction of the Zibulo Colliery began in 2008, and officially launched the mine in 2012. The mine was planned to deliver 8 million tons per annum (Mtpa) over a life of 20 years, with 7 Mtpa from its underground mine and the remaining 1 Mtpa from its opencast pit. Saleable production was approximated to be 6 Mtpa.[2]

Zibulo was previously owned by Anglo Inyosi Coal Pty Ltd, a broad-based black economic empowerment company. However, on June 4, 2021, Anglo American, which owned 73% of the mine, completed a demerger of its South African thermal coal assets, including the Zibulo Mine, into a newly incorporated company, Thungela Resources Limited (Thungela).[3] While 73% of the mine's shares are now held by Thungela Resources Limited, the remaining 27% are held by Inyosi Coal.[4]

Project Details

  • Operator: Thungela Resources Limited[3]
  • Owners: Thungela Resources Limited (73%), Inyosi Coal (27%)[3]
  • Location: near Ogies, Emalahleni municipality, Nkangala district, Mpumalanga
  • GPS Coordinates: -26.1994277, 29.0084596 (exact)
  • Status: Operating
  • Production Capacity: 5.39 million tonnes (Mt) (2019)[5]; 5.5 mt (2021)[1]
  • Total Resource: 423.5 Mt[5]
  • Mineable Reserves: 53 Mt[5]
  • Coal type: Thermal, bituminous[5]
  • Mine Size:
  • Mine Type: opencast, underground (bord and pillar)[4]
  • Start Year: 2012[2]
  • Source of Financing:

Articles and resources

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 Thungela Resources Limited,Integrated Assessment Report 2021, 2022
  2. 2.0 2.1 "ANGLO AMERICAN OPENS R4.2 BILLION COAL MINE," "Anglo American website," March 29, 2012.
  3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 Integrated Annual Report 2021, Anglo American, Accessed June 2022
  4. 4.0 4.1 "Zibulo Mine," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed August 2020.
  5. 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "INTEGRATED ANNUAL REPORT 2019," "Anglo American," 2019.

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources

External articles