AZA Colina steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
AZA Colina steel plant (Planta siderúrgica AZA Colina), previously known as Gerdau Colina, is a 520 TTPA electric arc furnace (EAF) steel plant in Colina, Chile. The plant operates a Tenova electric arc furnace (EAF).
The map below shows the location of the plant in Colina, Chile.
The AZA Colina steel plant is a project of AZA Acero Sostenible, a Chilean company originally founded as Metalúrgicas AZA in 1953. AZA began producing steel from scrap at its original plant in Renca, Chile in the 1960s.
In 1992, AZA was acquired by Brazilian steelmaker Gerdau, and in 1999 the company inaugurated its Colina steel plant, with an initial production capacity of 360,000 tpa (tonnes per annum).
In June 2018, Gerdau sold its entire stake in AZA to a consortium formed by four Chilean investors: Ingeniería e Inversiones Limitada, Inversiones Reyosan SpA, Los Andes S.A. de Inversiones, and Matco Cables SpA.
The AZA plant currently has an annual production capacity of 520,000 tonnes of crude steel. Billets produced in Colina are transformed into long steel products including bars, wire rod and profiles at Colina's rolling mill and at AZA's original plant in Renca. The Colina and Renca rolling mills have steel processing capacities of 370,000 and 100,000 tpa, respectively.
AZA promotes itself as a "green steel" producer, based on its commitment to the SBT (Science Based Targets) initiative for lowering greenhouse gas emissions, the company's recent successes in reducing CO2 emissions to less than 0.5 tonnes for every tonne of steel produced, and the certification of its energy management system under the ISO 50001 standard.
- Alternative plant names: Gerdau Colina (predecessor)
- Other language plant name: Planta siderúrgica AZA Colina (Spanish)
- Location: Carretera Panamericana Norte 18.968, Colina, Región Metropolitana, Chile
- GPS Coordinates: -33.294729, -70.727881 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1999 (age 22–23)
- Parent company: Ingenieria e Inversiones Ltda (45%); Matco Cables (45%); Los Andes S.A. de Inversiones (5%); inversiones Reyosan (5%)
- Parent company PermID: 5071072856
- Owner: AZA Acero Sostenible
- Owner company PermID: not found
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- 2020 Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Steel product category: finished rolled
- Steel products: bars, wire rod, profiles
- Steel sector end users: building and infrastructure
- Workforce size: 503
- ISO14001: certified in 2019
- ISO50001: certified in 2021
- Main production equipment: EAF
- Detailed production equipment: 1 Tenova EAF (1996)
Articles and resources
- "Reporte de Sustenibilidad 2020 (p 17, p 58, pp 96-98)" (PDF). AZA Acero Sostenible. 2020.
- "2022 AIST Electric Arc Furnace Roundup". AIST. Retrieved 2022-01-28.
- "Quienes Somos". AZA. Retrieved 2022-01-29.
- "Gerdau S.A. 2018 Annual/Transition Report 20-F". US Securities & Exchange Commission. December 31, 2018.
- "Productos". AZA. Retrieved 2022-01-28.
- "Contacto". AZA. Retrieved 2022-01-29.
- Baida, Guilherme (2017-10-04). "Gerdau sells Chilean steel operations to Matco, Ingenieria e Inversiones". S&P Global.
- "Form 20-F". US Securities & Exchange Commission. December 31, 2017.
- "Reporte de Sostenibilidad 2017 (p 9)" (PDF). Gerdau. 2017.
- "América Latina en Cifras 2020" (PDF). Alacero. 2020.
- "ISO 14001:2015 Certificate of Approval" (PDF). Lloyd's Register. May 10, 2019.
- "ISO 50001:2018 Certificate of Approval" (PDF). Lloyd's Register. February 3, 2021.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page [wikipedia.org/Page_Title Page Title] under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.