Aberpergwm Coal Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Aberpergwm Coal Mine is an underground coal mine in Neath Port Talbot, Wales, United Kingdom.
The mine currently has a proposed expansion, to mine 40 million tonnes of coal over the next 20 years.
The map below shows the exact location of the coal mine in Neath Port Talbot, Wales, United Kingdom.
Energybuild was granted a conditional mining licence in 2016 to extract up to 40m tonnes of over the 20 years. According to recent reports, the company claims that it would mine 7.3m tonnes over the life of the mine, at a rate of about 350,000 tonnes a year.
- Operator: Energybuild Limited
- Owner: Energybuild Limited
- Location: Neath Port Talbot, Wales County, United Kingdom
- Coordinates: 51.7408, -3.6443 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year:
- Production capacity (Mtpa): 0.23
- Total reserves (Mt):
- Coal type: Anthracite
- Mine type: Underground
- Mine size (Km2):
- Workforce size:
- Primary consumer:
- Source of financing:
- Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 2 million tonnes per annum or 0.35 mtpa
- Start Year:
- Employment: 160
Articles and Resources
- Stacy Irish, "USA's Walter Energy restarts production at UK met coal mine," Fastmarkets, January 02, 2014
- Aberpergwm colliery given go-ahead to mine 40 million tonnes despite Welsh Government disapproval, Wales Online, January 27, 2022
- Tommy Greene, Wales coalmine extension may soon be approved despite Cop26 pledges, Guardian, December 24, 2021