Aboño power station
Aboño power station is a 916-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Asturias, Spain.
The map below shows the plant located in the Aboño valley between the municipalities of Carreño and Gijón, at an elevation of +7 metres and approximately 8 km. from Gijón and 2 km. from the port of Musel.
Background on Plant
Aboño power station is a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 916 MW. The plant was completed between 1974 and 1985, and is owned by Energias de Portugal. The Aboño Thermal Power Station uses several fuels, including domestic and imported coal, fuel oil, diesel, and the excess gases produced by the Arcelor-Mittal de Gijón steel mill.
- Sponsor: HC Energia
- Parent company: Energias de Portugal
- Location: Aboño, Gijón, Asturias, Spain
- Coordinates: 43.553557, -5.721851 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 916 MW (Unit 1: 360 MW, Unit 2: 556 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1974-1985
- Coal type:
- Coal source: central coalfields of Asturias, imported coal
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Aboño Thermal Power Station," EDP, accessed April 2016