Adasa Coal Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Adasa Coal Mine Project is proposed converison of operating Adasa underground mine to opencast mine of 1.50 (Normative) & 1.85 MTPA (Peak) capacity, situated in the south east of Saoner Project in the Nagpur district of Maharashtra, India.
The satellite image below shows the exact location of the Adasa coal mine project in Kotodi village in Saoner Tahsil of Nagpur district, Maharashtra.
Background on Mine
This project is an expansion from existing Adasa underground mine. A Project report on Adasa U/G mine was prepared by CMPDI, Nagpur in August, 1990 for a target capacity of 0.24 MTPA. Adasa U/G mining has been operational since 2000 with an additional environment clearance granted on 15th July, 2009 for increased Production capacity from 0.21 MTPA to 0.50 MTPA within an area of 221.0 ha. The mining activities from Adasa UG mine has stopped from 19 April, 2019.
The project proposal for conversion from underground to Open cast mine was prepared in 2014-15 by Western Coalfield Limited and then submitted to the MoEF&CC India for clearance. As part of the environemntal clearance process, a public hearing was conducted on 6 February, 2019 in Saoner. The project involves 797 project affected families from Kotodi and Erangaon Village. Both villages has been proposed to be rehabilitated." The final environment clearance was granted on 3 February, 2020 for the conversion of the UG mine to open cast with an expansion in capacity from 0.50 MTY to 1.50 (Normative) & 1.85 MTY (Peak) and increase in land area from 221.00 Ha to 594.41 ha of M/s Western Coalfields Limited located near Kotodi village in Saoner Tahsil of Nagpur district (Maharashtra).
The excavation work in proposed Adasa UG to OC is envisaged to start soon. The total mineable reserves estimated in proposed mine is 22.08 Mt.
- Sponsor: Western Coalfields Ltd
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Village Kotodi, Tahsil Saoner, District Nagpur, State Maharashtra, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 21.347003, Longitude 78.953545
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 1.50 (Normative) &1.85 MTY (Peak)
- Total Resource: 22.08 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 22.08 MT
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 594.41 ha
- Mine Type: Underground / Open cast
- Start Year: UG since 2000 and OC expected in 2020
- Source of Financing: Coal India Limited
- Permits and Applications: Environmental Clearance for for UG to OC mine, MoEF&CC India, 3 Febaruary, 2020
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environmental clearance for expansion of production capacity MoEF&CC India, 15 July, 2009
- Minutes of the 49th meeting of the Expert Appraisal Committee MoEF&CC India, 22 October, 2019
- Environmental Clearance for UG to OC mine, MoEF&CC India, 3 Febaruary, 2020.
Related GEM.wiki articles