Afşin-Elbistan coal mines
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
The Afşin-Elbistan coal mines are a network of opencast and underground mines, operated by Afşin- Elbistan Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Afşin Elbistan Electricity Production and Trade inc.) and owned by Electricity Generation Company (Elektrik Üretim A.Ş, EÜAŞ) with a capacity of 14 million tonnes per annum, in Kahramanmaraş, Turkey.
The mines provide fuel to the proposed Afşin-Elbistan power complex. The complex includes the Afşin-C, Afşin-D, Afşin-E, and Kışlaköy mines.
The map below shows the exact location of the Afşin-Elbistan mines in Kahramanmaraş, Turkey.
27% of Turkey proven lignite reserves are situated in the Afşin-Elbistan coalfield. The coalfield is divided into six sectors; A, B, C, D, E and G. Among these, sector A is also known as Kışlaköy, and sector B as Çöllolar.
The only operational mine in the coalfield is situated in the Kışlaköy (A) sector.  In Kışlaköy, coal production started in 1984. To operate the mine TKI (Turkey Coal Operations Authority) established the the Afşin-Elbistan Linyit İşletmeleri Müesseseliği(Afşin-Elbistan Lignite Operations Company) or AELI in 1975.  In 1995 AELI was given under the authority of another government body, TEAŞ (Turkey Electricity Production and Distribution). In 2004, when TEAŞ was re-organized as three different public sector companies, the mine's control was passed on to EÜAŞ. In December 2018, the Kışlaköy mine's operation was passed on to a private company, Afşin- Elbistan Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Afşin Elbistan Electricity Production and Trade inc.), a subsidiary of Çelikler Holding. However, the ownership of the mine remains in EÜAŞ.
A second mine was established in sector B (Çöllolar) in 2007 to feed the Afşin-Elbistan B power plant. The mine was a joint project of EÜAŞ and Park Teknik, a private company. However, a landslide in 2011 destroyed the mine, and it was not rebuilt. Since then, the coal for the Afşin-Elbistan B coal plant is acquired from the Kışlaköy Mine.
Plans for Additional Mines
As of 2019, EÜAŞ completed multiple feasibility studies for potential coal mines in Afşin C, E and G sectors. 
- Owner: Euas Electricity Generation Company (Elektrik Üretim A.Ş, EÜAŞ)
- Operator: Afşin Elbistan Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Parent company of the operator: Çelikler Holding
- Location: Kahramanmaraş, Turkey
- GPS coordinates: 38.340685, 37.082979 (exact)
- Mine status: operating
- Production: 14 million tonnes per annum
- Reserves: 3400 million tonnes resources in basin; with 4840 million tonnes (2013)
- Start year: 1984
- Coal type: lignite
- Mine type: surface and underground
- Power station: Afşin-Elbistan power complex
Articles and resources
- Philip M. Mobbs, "2010 Minerals Yearbook: Turkey", United States Geological Survey, April 2012, page 56.7
- Türkiye'nin Işığı: 2018 Faaliyet Raporu . Elektrik Üretim Anonim Şirketi. Report.
- Türkiye'ye Güç Veriyoruz: 2019 Faaliyet Raporu . Elektrik Üretim Anonim Şirketi. Report.
- Yörükoğlu, Mustafa (September 1991). "Afşin-Elbistan Projesi ve TKİ Kurumu AELÎ Müessesesinde Madencilik Çalışmaları(Afşin-Elbistan Mining Project and Mining Activities at AELl Establishment of TKİ)" (PDF). Madencilik. 30 (3): 13–29. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Muzaffer Basaran Afşin Elbistan Havzasında Yeni Yatırım Yapmanın Sorunları ve Öneriler . Chamber of Electrical Engineers. Report.
- "Afşin Elbistan Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret A.Ş." Çelikler Holding. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Prospects for coal and clean coal technologies in Turkey, IEA Clean Coal Center], July 2014