African Renaissance Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
African Renaissance Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline would run from the Rovuma Basin in northern Mozambique to Gauteng province in South Africa.
- Operator: ENH, Profin Consulting, CNPC, Progas Investment Group
- Length: 2600 kilometers
- Status: Proposed
- Start year:
If constructed, the African Renaissance Gas Pipeline could be one of the biggest LNG projects in the world. The original target for first production was 2016; however, it was adjusted to 2020 due to low gas prices.
The project was originally announced as a joint venture between SacOil, Mozambique's state oil company ENH (Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos), Profin Consulting and China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau (CPP, a subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corporation). However, SacOil indefinitely postponed its participation in the project, and was replaced by Progas Investment Group when the joint venture agreement was officially signed on April 22, 2016 in Maputo.
Doubts persist about the economic feasibility of the African Renaissance Gas Pipeline and its competitor, the GasNosu North–South Gas Pipeline project. In July 2019, the Fitch Solutions consulting group cast doubt on the financial viability of a pipeline spanning the full length of Mozambique and crossing into South Africa, citing a lack of investors and insufficient demand for natural gas in both countries.
In November 2020, the project's developers reportedly applied to the Mozambique government for a permit to build, own, and operate the pipeline's infrastructure.
Articles and resources
- Construction of gas pipeline linking South Africa and Mozambique gains hope, Construction Review, Sep. 6, 2016, accessed Sep. 7, 2021.
- More than just pipe dreams: Mozambique's gas may power its expansion, Neil Ford, The Africa Report, 7 September 2016
- "Novo gasoduto ligará bacia do Rovuma/Gauteng". Portal do Governo de Moçambique.
- "African gas pipeline projects compete with coal and LNG power". Gas Processing News. Retrieved 2020-07-02.
- "Grupo sul-africano adia assinatura do contracto para construção de gasoduto em Moçambique". Macau Hub. April 26, 2016.
- "South Africa eyes Rovuma gas". Petroleum Economist. October 19, 2017.
- "Construção de gasoduto entre Moçambique e África do Sul é improvável, defende consultora | DW | 28.07.2019". Deutsche Welle. July 28, 2019.
- The African Renaissance Pipeline Project linking Mozambique with the wider region, Energy Capital & Power, Futher Africa, Jan. 21, 2021, accessed Sep. 7, 2021.