Amurstal steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The map below shows the location of the plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Russia.
Scrap metal shortages
The Amurstal steel plant faced scrap metal shortages in late 2019, leading the plant to shut down. In April 2020, amid further scrap metal shortages during Covid-19, Amurstal announced that it would began sourcing HBI from Lebedinsky GOK to supplement scrap metal shortage.
EAF modernization and a proposed DRI facility
In May 2019, it was announced that the plant was intending to modernize its existing EAF shop with a goal of increasing annual production capacity to 3000 TTPA. Additionally, in order to combat the shortage of scrap metal that has been significantly affecting the plant's production, the company is planning to add a new DRI furnace to produce DRI in-house.
Modernization started in 2020 and as of March 2021, it was ongoing in the main production shops - section rolling and electric steelmaking - where the overhaul of main equipment has been completed. As of March 2021, the DRI plant proposal was still included in the modernization: the section rolling shop is being reconstructed and modernized in preparation for DRI.
In May 2019, it was announced that the plant was intending to modernize its existing EAF shop with a goal of increasing annual production capacity to 3000 TTPA. However, in March 2021, reports stated that due to scrap shortages, the plant was producing below existing capacity for several years, with 2020 production being only 676 TTPA, and its goal instead was to increase annual production to 925 TTPA. The DRI production capacity is unknown.
- Alternative plant names: Amurmetall; ООО Amurmetall-Lite
- Other language plant name: Металлургический завод Амурсталь (Russian); ООО Амурметалл-Литьё (Russian)
- Location: Vagonnaya Ulitsa 30, Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Khabarovsk Territory, Russia, 681000
- GPS Coordinates: 50.563131, 136.976362 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1942 (age 79–80)
- Parent company: Armada, AO
- Owner: Amurstal' OOO
- Owner company PermID: 
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- 2020 Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 676 (EAF)
- Steel product category: semi-finished; finished rolled
- Steel products: billet; wire rod; rebar; hexagonal bar; wire; round bar
- Workforce size: 2933
- Main production equipment: EAF
- Detailed production equipment: 125-tonne electric arc furnace (2007)
Articles and resources
- Contacts (Контакты), Amurstal, Retrieved on Jun 12, 2020
- Russia's Amurstal under risk of stoppage, Steel Orbis, Nov. 29, 2019, Retrieved on: Jun. 12, 2020
- Russia's Amurstal to partly compensate for scrap shortage by HBI usage, Steel Orbis, Nov. 29, 2019, Retrieved on: Jun. 12, 2020
- "«Амурсталь» меняет сырье". Kommersant. May 19, 2019. Retrieved Mar 22, 2022.
- "«Амурсталь» удвоит производительность за счет модернизации". Vestsnab24.ru. Mar 15, 2021. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- Amurstal (Амурсталь), Amurstal, Retrieved on Jun 12, 2020
- "History (История)". Amurstal. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- "АКЦИОНЕРНОЕ ОБЩЕСТВО "АРМАДА"". OpenWeb.ru. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- "ОБЩЕСТВО С ОГРАНИЧЕННОЙ ОТВЕТСТВЕННОСТЬЮ "ТОРЭКС-ХАБАРОВСК"". OpenWeb.ru. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- "AMURSTAL OOO (RUSSIA)". EMIS.com. Mar 17, 2021. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- "Металлургический завод Амурсталь". Metallobazy.ru. Mar 2, 2020. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- "Завод из дела Фургала предупредил о риске остановки". Rbc.ru. Jun 30, 2021. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- Products, Amurstal, Retrieved on: Jun. 12, 2020
- "ООО АМУРСТАЛЬ". Companies.rbc.ru. Dec 31, 2021. Retrieved Jan 25, 2022.
- Electric Melting Shop, Amurstal, Retrieved on: Jun. 12, 2020
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page Амурсталь under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.