Angren power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of proposed coal plants worldwide.|
Angren power station is a 422-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
An additional 150 MW is proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Angren, Okhangaron.
Background on Plant
The Angren power station is owned by state joint stock company Uzbekenergo. The power station originally consisted of eight units of 52 to 68 MW each. The first unit was commissioned in 1957, and the eighth in 1963.
In September 2012, Uzbekenergo signed a contract with China's Harbin Electric International Company for construction of a 130 to 150 MW unit at the power station, planned for operation in 2016. Total project cost is US$242.6 million, financed by Uzbekenergo (US$75.1 million) and a loan from the Chinese Ex-Im Bank (US$165.6 million). The new unit will replace the first four units of the plant.
Construction on a new 150 MW unit (Unit 9) began in 2014.
The new 150 MW unit was completed in August 2016, and units 1-4 were subsequently retired. The retirements left the 150 MW unit 9 and four 68 MW units (Units 5-8). The proposed new unit was included in the Ministry of Energy's 2020 plans through 2030.
Unit 10 expansion
In July 2019, the head of Uzbekenergo said the company was finishing the development of a project feasibility study and working with a potential investor for the construction of an additional 150 MW unit (Unit 10) at the power station. Uzbekenergo said, in addition, the company may eventually add two more units at the power station (Units 11-12) totaling 450 MW.
Project Details of Unit 10
- Sponsor: Uzbekenergo
- Parent company:
- Location: Angren, Okhangaron, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Coordinates: 41.004897, 70.122799 (exact)
- Status: Announced
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Angren coal mine
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications:
Articles and resources
- "Angren Coal Power Plant Uzbekistan," GEO, accessed April 2016
- " Harbin Power to modernize Angren thermal power station," Uz Daily, 20 June 2013
- "Uzbekistan Angren 1x150MW Coal-Fired Power Plant Holds the Ground Breaking Ceremony," China Hei, 2014-05-14
- "Uzbekistan Completes Modernization Of The Angren TPP," East Time, August 30, 2016
- Kordvani, CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP-Amir (2020-03-06). "Ministry of Energy of Uzbekistan issues the "Concept Note" for ensuring electricity supply in 2020 - 2030 | Lexology". www.lexology.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Uzbekistan plans to build three coal-fired power plants," Energy Central, July 16, 2019