Anuppur Thermal Power Project
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Anuppur Thermal Power Project is an operating power station of at least 1200-megawatts (MW) in Jethari, Jaithari, Annupur, Madhya Pradesh, India with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Anuppur Thermal Power Project||Jethari, Jaithari, Annupur, Madhya Pradesh, India||23.073731, 81.784286 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Phase 1 Unit 1, Phase 1 Unit 2, Phase 2 Unit 2, Phase 2 Unit 1: 23.073731, 81.784286
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Phase 1 Unit 1||operating||coal - unknown||600||subcritical||2015||–|
|Phase 1 Unit 2||operating||coal - unknown||600||subcritical||2016||–|
|Phase 2 Unit 2||cancelled||coal - unknown||660||supercritical||–||–|
|Phase 2 Unit 1||cancelled||coal - unknown||660||supercritical||–||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Phase 1 Unit 1||Hindustan Powerprojects Pvt Ltd (HPPPL) [100.0%]|
|Phase 1 Unit 2||Hindustan Powerprojects Pvt Ltd (HPPPL) [100.0%]|
|Phase 2 Unit 2||Hindustan Powerprojects Pvt Ltd (HPPPL) [100.0%]|
|Phase 2 Unit 1||Hindustan Powerprojects Pvt Ltd (HPPPL) [100.0%]|
Project-level coal details
- Coal source(s): SECL, Bilaspur
- Permit(s): Terms of Reference: 2010-04-20, May 28, 2010 – Environmental Clearance
Source of financing: Phase 1: US$637,258,426 in debt from SBI, Axis Bank, L&T Infrastructure, State Bank of Patalia, and State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur; US$130 million in debt from Macquarie SBI Infrastructure Fund (MSIF) and the State Bank of India (SBI); US$212,402,183 in equity from the sponsor.
The project is proposed by by Hindustan Power Projects (formerly Moser Baer).
Phase I: 1200 MW
In January 2011, Moser Baer announced that the Macquarie SBI Infrastructure Fund (MSIF) and the State Bank of India (SBI) will invest in the plant.
In the May 2013 issue of Power Today, Moser Baer Projects Private Ltd Thermal Division CED L R Shrivastan said that the Anuppur Phase 1, with 2 x 600 MW capacity, was about 60 percent complete and would be commissioned "by early next year." In November 2014, it was listed as under construction by the India Central Electrical Authority.
Hindustan Powerprojects commissioned the 600 MW Unit 1 in May 2015. The unit had a total cost of Rs 8,000 crores. In July 2015 the Ministry of Power said unit 2 was planned for February 2016. Unit 2 was commissioned in March 2016.
Financing for Phase I
In November 2009, a financing agreement for Phase I was closed. SBI and Axis Bank (as the lead banks), L&T Infrastructure, State Bank of Patalia, and State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur agreed to provide Rs 4680 crore in loans. In January 2011, a second financing agreement was closed. SBI and the Macquarie SBI Infrastructure Fund agreed to provide US$130 million in loans to the project. The sponsor agreed to provide US$212,402,183 in equity to the project.
Phase II: 1320 MW
In April 2010, a phase II expansion of two 660 MW units received a terms of reference to conduct an environmental impact assessment. As of March 2014, Hindustan Power Projects continued to list a second phase of 1320 MW.
In legal documents dated July 2015 regarding the tariff for the plant, Hindustan stated that "due to non-availability of coal either through linkages or mines, Phase II is still in the conceptual stage and its implementation shall be taken up only after firm availability of coal."
Hindustan rejects future coal plants
In March 2014, Hindustan Power Projects chairman Ratul Puri stated the company would not build further coal plants: “I’ve stopped developing coal plants. There’s not enough coal, and I’m not going to rely on imported coal. It’s too risky.”
Articles and Resources
- "Moser Baer India Ltd., SBI, Ratul Puri, Lajpat Shrivastav, Varun Bajpai, Macquarie, Business Wire India, Press Releases". www.businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "Moser Baer funds on Anuppur plant | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- Hindustan Power, "Projects", Hindustan Power website, accessed March 2014.
- "Moser Baer's Anuppur thermal power plant attracts investment of Rs. 580 crore from a Macquarie SBI Infrastructure Fund and SBI," Moser Baer press release, January 11, 2011
- "Interaction," Policy Today, May 2013
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, November 2014
- “Hindustan Powerprojects Commissions 8,000 Crores 600 MW COD of Anuppur Plant for Rs 8,000 Cr,” The Financial Express, May 31, 2015
- "Supply of coal to Power Plants," India Ministry of Power, July 23, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "Terms of reference," India MoEF, Apr 20, 2010
- Order passed on July 29, 2015," mperc.nic.in, Jul 29, 2015
- "Coal crunch gives impetus to India's solar switch," Japan Times, March 2, 2014
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.