Cleveland-Cliffs Riverdale steel plant
|This article is part of the |
Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Cleveland-Cliffs Riverdale steel plant is a 1000 TTPA integrated steel plant in Riverdale, Illinois, United States. The Cleveland-Cliffs Riverdale steel plant operates a blast furnace (BF) and basic-oxygen furnace (BOF).
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Riverdale, Illinois, United States.
The Cleveland-Cliffs Riverdale steel plant began operating in 1917 and was operated by Acme Steel. In 2002, the International Steel Group, organized by WL Ross & Co. LLC, bought the bankrupt Acme Steel and re-opened it as ISG Riverdale Inc. It was later bought by ArcelorMittal. The ownership of the plant transferred to Cleveland-Cliffs when the acquisition of ArcelorMittal USA and all US ArcelorMittal plants by Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. was completed on December 9, 2020 for $1.4 billion.
- Alternative plant names: ArcelorMittal Riverdale steel plant (predecessor), Acme Steel
- Location: 13500 Perry Ave, Riverdale, IL 60827, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 41.657321, -87.625702 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1917 (age 105–106)
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
- Parent company PermID: 4295903753
- Owner: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
- Owner company PermID: 4295903753
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 600 (2020, BOF)
- Steel product category: finished rolled
- Steel products: hot-rolled black bands in a full range of grades, including high-carbon and alloy
- Steel sector end users: automotive; tools and machinery
- Workforce size: 290
- ISO 14001: Yes
- ISO 50001: N/A
- Main production equipment: BF, BOF
- Detailed production equipment: sinter plant; blast furnace (BF) (# unknown); 2 basic oxygen furnace (BOF) (57m3 each, began in 1959, rebuilt in 2006 and 2012)
Articles and resources
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. Completes Acquisition of ArcelorMittal USA, Cleveland-Cliffs, Dec. 9, 2020
- "Acme Steel Co". Encyclopedia of Chicago. 2004. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- "Steel giant ArcelorMittal sells U.S. operations to Cleveland-Cliffs". Chicago Sun Times. 2020-09-28. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- Cleveland Cliffs (2022). "Riverdale Fact Sheet" (PDF). Cleveland Cliffs. Retrieved 2022-08-16.
- Sellers, Rod (2006). "Chicago's Southeast Side Industrial History" (PDF). Southeast Historical Society. Retrieved 2022-09-13. line feed character in
|title=at position 10 (help)
- 2022 AIST Basic Oxygen Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Apr. 2022
- Fact Book 2020, ArcelorMittal, 2021
- Cleveland Cliffs (2022). "Riverdale". Cleveland Cliffs. Retrieved 2022-08-16.