ArcelorMittal Sestao steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
ArcelorMittal Sestao steel plant (also known as ArcelorMittal Bilbao, or Acería Compacta de Bizkaia (ACB) (predecessor)) is a 2000-thousand tonnes per annum (ttpa) electric arc furnace (EAF) steel plant in Biscay, in Spain. ArcelorMittal Sestao steel plant operates a electric arc furnace (EAF).
The map below shows the exact location of the steel plant in Sestao, in Spain.
ArcelorMittal Sestao was previously owned by Altos Hornos de Vizcaya in 1902, and was transferred to the Compact Steelworks of Bizkaia later. In 1996, it was bought by Aceralia (then known as Siderurgia Integral Corporation), which then became Arcelor, who merged with Mittal to form ArcelorMittal in the early 2000s.
In 2020, the plant was idled from April to September due to a drop in demand caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
In 2021, ArcelorMittal announced that the Sestao plant was set to become world's first full-scale zero carbon-emissions steel plant by 2025. An investment of €50 million to fund the implementation of new emission-reducing technologies was undertaken. In November 2021, ArcelorMittal suspended their steel operations at Sestao to focus on upgrading the plant; they expected to recommence operations in early 2022.
ArcelorMittal Sestao operates a 10,000 tonne scrapyard on the site.
- Alternative plant names: ArcelorMittal Bilbao, Acería Compacta de Bizkaia (ACB) (predecessor)
- Location: Chavarri 6, 48910 Sestao, Spain
- GPS Coordinates: 43.313144, -2.998964 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: unknown
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company: ArcelorMittal SA [100%]
- Parent company PermID: 5000030092 [100%]
- Owner: Arcelormittal Sestao SL
- Owner company PermID: 5000020198
- Crude steel production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 2000.0
- Steel product category: semi-finished; finished rolled
- Steel products: hot rolled coil
- Steel sector end users: automotive; building and infrastructure
- Workforce size: 205
- ISO14001 certification: yes (certification year unknown)
- ISO50001 certification year: N/A
- Main production equipment: electric arc furnace (EAF)
- Detailed production equipment: 2 EAF (DC 130 MVA each)
Articles and Resources
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao". SecondWiki. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "Europe energy price crisis". S&P Global. 2022-02-18. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao to become the world's first full-scale zero carbon-emissions steel plant". ArcelorMittal. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- S.A, ArcelorMittal (2021-07-13). "ArcelorMittal Sestao to become the world's first full-scale zero carbon-emissions1 steel plant". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao to suspend steel ops until early 2022 for capacity boost | Metal Bulletin.com". MetalBulletin. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao". ArcelorMittal Europe - Flat Products. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao - ArcelorMittal Europe - Flat Products". ArcelorMittal Flat Europe. Archived from the original on January 11, 2022. Retrieved January 15, 2022.
- "Map of EU Steel Production Sites" (PDF). Eurofer. 2019. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "Fact Book 2018" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on
|archive-date=(help). Retrieved January 27, 2022.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao Sociedad Limitada". DNB. Retrieved 2022-02-20.
- "ArcelorMittal Sestao". ArcelorMittal Espanol. Retrieved 2022-02-20.