ArcelorMittal Tubarão steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
ArcelorMittal Tubarão steel plant (Usina Siderúrgica de Tubarão) is an integrated steel plant in Serra, Espirito Santo, Brazil.
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Serra, Espirito Santo, Brazil.
The Tubarão steel company was originally founded in June 1976 as the state-owned Companhia Siderúrgica de Tubarão (CST). CST began producing steel in November 1983, when the plant's first blast furnace was lit, and eventually expanded its steelmaking capacity to 7.5 million tons per annum with the addition of two more blast furnaces in 1998 and 2007.
ArcelorMittal Tubarão manufactures flat steel products - primarily hot-rolled plates and coils - for both domestic and international markets. Its facilities are spread out over 13.5 million m², with 7 million m² being dedicated to the steel plant itself. The company has its own steel products terminal at the port of Praia Mole, along with good rail and road connections to neighboring Brazilian states.
The ArcelorMittal Tubarão plant reuses gases from its steel making process for the generation of electric energy; according to company reports, the plant has been energy self-sufficient since 1999, generating approximately 115% of its own energy requirements.
In December 2019 ArcelorMittal Tubarão completed relining of its blast furnace #2, which was temporarily idled due to market conditions.
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: ArcelorMittal
- Owner: ArcelorMittal Tubarão
- Alternative plant names: CST (Companhia Siderúrgica de Tubarão)
- Other language plant name: Usina Siderúrgica de Tubarão (Portuguese)
- Location: Avenida Brigadeiro Eduardo Gomes, nº 526 - Bairro Polo Industrial Tubarão, Serra, Espirito Santo, Brazil
- GPS Coordinates: -20.253447, -40.242298 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1983 (age 36–37)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 7500 (BF-BOF)
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 6268 (BF-BOF, 2019)
- Steel product category: flat
- Steel products: slabs, hot-rolled coils, cold-rolled and galvanized steel
- Steel sector end users: automotive, home appliances, shipbuilding, pipes, construction, agricultural
- Steelmaking process: integrated
- Primary steel production equipment: 3 blast furnaces (BF) (1983, 1998, 2007); 3 basic oxygen furnaces (BOF) (1983); coking plant (# of ovens unknown); sinter plant
- Power source: Generates approximate 115% of energy required for steelmaking using gases from production process
Articles and resources
- "Unidade Tubarão | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal Brasil. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "Companhia Siderurgica de Tubarao (CST): due diligence report". Infospectrum. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "Sumário - A ArcelorMittal Tubarão no Espírito Santo". ArcelorMittal. 2017.
- "The evolution of ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "Gestão de Energia e Mudanças Climáticas". ArcelorMittal Brasil. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- "2019 Factbook" (PDF). ArcelorMittal. 2019.
- "Maintaining our position as a trusted community brand | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "USGS Minerals Yearbook: Brazil" (PDF). USGS. 2015.
- "Pocket Yearbook 2020: A Siderurgia em Números" (PDF). Instituto Aço Brasil. 2020.
- "ArcelorMittal Tubarão: 32 anos". Folha Diaria. December 10, 2015.
- "2020 AIST Basic Oxygen Furnace Roundup". AIST (Association for Iron & Steel Technology). Retrieved 2020-09-14.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page ArcelorMittal Tubarão under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.