Atlas Enerji İskenderun power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Atlas Enerji power station is a 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Hatay province, Turkey. This power station supplies two steel plants that are also operated by Diler Holding, Diler iron and steel plant and Yacizi Iron and Steel plant.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant's site, which is in the İskenderun 1st Organized Industrial Zone (OSB), near Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province.
Background on Plant
In December 2008, Atlas Enerji Üretim A.Ş. (a subsidiary of Diler Holding) received environmental permits to build the two-unit, 1,200-MW, $1.2 billion coal-fired Atlas Enerji power station in Turkey's Hatay province. Construction on the plant began in 2011. In 2013, there was controversy over whether or not the plant would employ union workers.
Legal challenge to plant's license
In November 2018 Eastern Mediterranean Environment Associations (DAÇE) filed a lawsuit to have the plant's operating license revoked on the grounds that impact studies used for licensure were incomplete and inadequate.
- Sponsor: Atlas Enerji Üretim A.Ş.
- Parent company: Diler Holding
- Location: İskenderun 1st Organized Industrial Zone (OSB), Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.69028, 36.20909 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,200 MW (Units 1-2: 600 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: 2014
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Imported
- Source of financing: Garanti
- WRI ID: WRI1018705
- EBC ID: TR-2
Articles and resources
- Atlas Enerji, Kara Atlas, accessed Mar. 2014.
- , Emlakkulisi, Mar. 24, 2011.
- Atlas Energy, Diler Holding website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Bakış, Medyatik. Atlas Enerji ve Sendikalaşma, Haber Türkiye, Mar. 11, 2013.
- "2 X 600 MW ATLAS ISKENDERUN THERMAL POWER PLANT" Diler Holding website, accessed Dec. 2017
- "Atlas Enerji- Diler Termik Santrali'nin inşaatı tamamlandı!" emlakkulisi.com, January 13, 2015
- Kanser 5 yılda yüzde bin 200 arttı, Oda TV, Dec. 3, 2018
- "Coal & Climate Change - 2017," Önder Algedik, Aug 2017