Rotowaro Opencast Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
For information on how to get involved in adding material to Global Energy Monitor Wiki see here.
Rotowaro Opencast Mine (also known as Awaroa) is an opencast sub-bituminous coal mine located approximately 10 km west of the township of Huntly, New Zealand.
The mine is owned by BT Mining, a joint venture between Bathurst Resources Ltd and Talleys.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
BT Mining operates the mine, which is owned by Bathurst Resources and Talley's.  Mining began around 1915 and the Rotowaro township was built especially for miners’ houses, but was entirely removed in the 1980s to make way for a large opencast mine. “Rotowaro Opencast Mine” refers to three pits which have or are being mined - the Awaroa mine, the Waipuna mine and the Township mine. Currently, mining is occurring in what is referred to as Awaroa 4 pit. The Rotowaro mine is primarily operated under a coal mining licence (CML) granted for a 40 year period on 1 April 1987, which is held by BT. The primary consumers of coal from Rotowaro include Huntly Power Station, the largest thermal power station in New Zealand, Glenbrook Steel Mill, and Open Country Dairy and Fonterra (Waikato dairy factories). 
Solid Energy states that the main environmental effects of the mining relate to the temporary disturbance of the land. The company states that dust and water quality are carefully managed and monitored, and that rehabilitation is undertaken progressively. Ponds, wetlands and a large lake will remain following the completion of mining and rehabilitation.
- Operator: BT Mining 
- Owner: Bathurst Resources and Talley's 
- Location: Rotowaro, Waikato, New Zealand
- Coordinates: ' -37.594308,175.074334 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 0.4628 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa)
- Total Reserves: 1.4 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 7.9 million tonnes
- Coal Type: SUBBITUMINOUS (Thermal)
- Mine Type: SURFACE
- Workforce: 167 
- Start Year: 1915 
- Source of Financing: Bathurst Resources and Talley's 
Articles and Resources
- Bathurst Resources Ltd, "Rotowaro Mine", February 2021
- Waikato District Council Hearing, "Hearing 18: Brief of Evidence of Craig John Pilcher for Bathurst Resources Limited and BT Mining Limited", Accessed February 2021
- Solid Energy, "Rotowaro Mine", August 2008
- New Zealand Petroleum and Minerals, "Operating coal mines", Ministry of Economic Development Website, accessed December 2022.
- Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, "ROTOWARO AND MARAMARUA COAL FIELD TRIP", AusIMM Website, Accessed February 2021