Bailey Mine is an underground coal mine, operated by Consol Pennsylvania Coal Company, a subsidiary of Consol Energy, producing 12.7 million short tons per annum, near Graysville, Pennsylvania, United States.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Graysville, in Greene county, Pennsylvania.
Bailey Mine is an underground operation in Graysville, Pennsylvania, owned by Consol Energy. In a 2007 media release CONSOL Energy announced that it had reached an agreement with Santee Cooper "to supply approximately 6.5 million tons for the 2007-2011 timeframe. The coal is expected to be shipped from CONSOL Energy's Bailey Mine to Santee Cooper's new Cross #3 and Cross #4 units that are based in South Carolina South Carolina."
In December 2012, Pennsylvania’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) sent a letter to Consol Energy stating its longwall mining operations in the state had irreparably damaged six streams. The DEP called further remediation attempts “futile,” and demanded the company compensate “for the loss of Commonwealth resources."
All six streams had suffered “flow loss” from Consol’s Bailey Mine, and In 2005, the Ryerson State Park lost its 62-acre Duke Lake when its dam cracked after a longwall machine had moved beneath the park. In April 2013, the DEP announced a multi-million-dollar settlement with Consol to repair the dam and re-open the lake.
- Owner: Consol Pennsylvania Coal Company
- Parent company: Consol Energy
- Location: Graysville, Greene county, Pennsylvania, United States
- GPS coordinates: 39.9609, -80.4039
- 2018 Production (short tons): 12,735,390
- Type of coal: Bituminous (Thermal)
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: Longwall, Continuous Mining
- Number of employees: 455
- Recoverable reserves:
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start Year: 1984
- MSHA ID: 3607230
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Pennsylvania and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- CONSOL Energy, "CONSOL Energy Signs Coal Deals with Scrubbed Utilities in Midwest and Southeast", Media Release, September 7, 2007.
- Kristen Lombardi, "New scrutiny of 'longwall' mining finds damage in Pennsylvania streams," CPI, June 21, 2013.
- "EIA table 9 major US coal mines 2018" EIA.gov accessed June 2020
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration