Bakreswar Thermal Power Station
The Bakreswar Thermal Power Station is an existing 1050 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power project owned and operated by the West Bengal Power Development Corporation in West Bengal, India.
The plant is located near Suri in Birbhum district, West Bengal.
The existing power station is located approximately 12 kilometres from Suri, Birbhum district, West Bengal, India.
The project has rail track access via Chinpai on the Andal-Sinthia Line of Eastern Railways. On its website WBPDC states that the existing plant was commissioned in two phases with three 210 MW units commissioned by March 2001 and a further two 210 MW units commissioned between December 2007 and March 2009. The company states that the plant was built on a "turnkey basis" by Itochu & BHEL with Larsen & Tubro constructing the coal handling plant.
- Unit 1 - 210 MW - 1999
- Unit 2 - 210 MW - 2000
- Unit 3 - 210 MW - 2001
- Unit 4 - 210 MW - 2007
- Unit 5 - 210 MW - 2009
Proposed unit 6 expansion
In 2007 West Bengal Power Development Corporation (WBPDC) received environmental clearance for a sixth unit at the power station of 600 MW. On its website (2012), WBPDC states the sixth unit is planned for the 2012-2017 period, and that financial closure is "awaited".
However, there were no developments on the proposed unit through 2017.
As of January 2020 there have been no further developments, and the project appears to be deferred or abandoned.
Project Details for Unit 6
Sponsor: West Bengal Power Development Corporation
Location: Suri village, Birbhum district, West Bengal
Coordinates: 23.8285, 87.4513 (exact)
Capacity: 660 MW
Projected in service:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Unit 6: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 18, 2007 (now expired); Application for new ToR, India MoEF, Nov 21, 2017
Resources and articles
- West Bengal Power Development Corporation, "About Us: Plant", West Bengal Power Development Corporation website, accessed February 2012.
- "Bakreshwar (BkTPP) Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012
- Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 18, 2007.
- "West Bengal Power Development Corporation," Company profile, 2009.
- West Bengal Power Development Corporation, "Future Projects", West Bengal Power Development Corporation website, accessed February 2012
- "Application for ToR," WBPDC letter to India MoEF, Nov 21, 2017