|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
PT. Berau Coal is a major Indonesian coal mining company which operates in East Kalimantan. The U.S. Geological Survey lists Berau Coal as mining 13 million tonnes of coal in 2006.
Businessweek describes the company as a "coal contractor" which "was founded in 1983" and "operates as a subsidiary of PT Armadian Tritunggal." Newsweek states that the company "produces Indonesian sub-bituminous coal which is used as a fuel for power utilities in Indonesia, Chile, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, and internationally."
Berau Coal has a transshipment facility at the Muara Pantai Coal Terminal located in the Sulawesi sea. The company uses shipping cranes to load coal directly from barges to ships with a loading rate of 12,000 tonnes per day. The company uses a submersible trans-shipper to transfer coal to ships from barges, with a loading rate of 15,000 to 18,000 tonnes per day.
In November 2010, Vallar combined with 25 percent of Indonesian coal producer PT Bumi Resources and 75 percent of PT Berau Coal Energy. It was reported that the $3 billion takeover would make Vallar the biggest exporter of coal to China.
Korea South East Power Co Ltd purchased 130,000 tonnes of sub-bituminous or bituminous coal from Berau Coal Energy Tbk PT on a free-on-board (FOB) basis. 
Jl. Pemuda No.40
Tanjung Redeb 77311, Berau
PO BOX 114
Phone :(62-554) 23400, (62-21) 5794 4625
Fax : (62-554) 23465,(62-21) 5794 4626
Articles and Resources
- U.S. Geological Survey, Indonesia - 2006, Table 2, page 11.9.
- "PT. Berau Coal", Bloomberg/Businessweek, accessed August 2011.
- "Indonesia coal loading and port details" UK Reuters, November, 19, 2011.
- Jesse Riseborough and Simon Casey, "Rothschild Plays Strongest Suit in $3 Billion Deal for Global Coal Company" Bloomberg, January 18, 2012.
- "S.Korea KOSEP buys 390,000 T coal for Jan-April" Reuters, accessed 18 January 2012.
Related GEM.wiki articles
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|