Bhavnagar Lignite Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Bhavnagar Lignite Mine (also known as Surkha North Lignite Mine) is an opencast coal mine in Bhavnagar, Gujarat State, India. The mine, which produces up to 3 million tonnes per annum, is operated by Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation Limited (GMDC), a subsidiary of the Government of Gujarat.
The map below shows the exact location of the coal mine in Bhavnagar, the state of Gujarat, India.
The Surkha Lignite mine started lignite mining in 2008 with the aim of meeting the growing lignite demand of industries of South Gujarat and Saurashtra.
A rarity for mines in India, there is no forest land in the mining lease area occupied by the mine.
Due to the downsizing of lignite production from Panandhro Lignite Mine, the desire to supply a 500 MW lignite-based power plant in Bhavnagar district in close vicinity of Surkha (N) mine, and the existence of a number of large cement industries in Saurashtra which have started using GMDC lignite, GMDC proposed an increase in the mine's production capacity from 3 to 5 MTPA over its existing mine lease area of 3672 hectares.
At an annual capacity of 5 million tonnes, the Surkha (N) lignite deposit has a life of 16 years.
While the Terms of Reference for enhancing the lignite production capacity were granted in August 2019, as of August 2022, the EC is still pending approval.
- Operator: Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation Limited
- Owner: Government of Gujarat
- Location: Bhavnagar, Gujarat State, India
- Coordinates: 21.67208367, 72.23652471 (exact)
- Mine Status: Operating
- Production: 3.17 MTPA (2019)
- Total Reserves: 114.72 million tonnes (2019)
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Mine Type: Surface
- Mine Size: 36.72 km2
- Start Year: 2008
- Source of Financing:
- Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 2 MTPA
- Mineable Reserves: 114.72 Million tonnes
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- Environmental clearance, India Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change, accessed 11 January 2022
- Pre-Feasibility Report for Proposed Production Capacity Expansion From 3 to 5 MTPA at Surkha (N) Lignite Mine, India's Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, accessed August 2022.
- Environmental Impact Assessment/Environment Management Plan for the Proposed Expansion of Surkha (North) Lignite Mine Project, Gujarat Pollution Control Board website, dated December 2021.