Broadlea North mine
Broadlea North is a small open cut mine in central Queensland operated by Fitzroy Australia Resources and typically associated with the Carborough Downs mine, which is located just south of it. Broadlea North is located approximately 30 kilometers north-east of Moranbah. After being on care and maintenance for 8 years, the mine was brought back into production between Oct. 2017 and Oct. 2018. It is unclear if the mine continued to operate after that.
Operations at Broadlea began in 2006. At the time, AMCI was the owner of Carborough Downs mine, and likely the Broadlea North mine too. AMCI sold Carborough mine and Broadlea North mine to Vale in 2008 for around $835 million.
Vale put Broadlea North on care and maintenance in 2009 due to “a combination of lower Australian dollar sales prices, continuing low yields and high fixed to variable cost ratios relative to volumes,” according to an Australia’s Mining Monthly article. The mine remained on care and maintenance for the rest of Vale’s ownership.
In 2017, AMCI subsidiary Fitzroy Queensland Resources bought 90% interest in the Carborough Downs mine and Broadlea opencut operations for an undisclosed amount. Fitzroy also bought the remaining 10% interest from JFE Steel, JFE Shoji and POSCO-CD.
In October 2017, Broadlea mine reopened for at least 12 months. It is unclear if Broadlea mine only operated for a 12-month period or continued to operate to this day.
- Sponsor: Fitzroy Australia Resources
- Parent Company: AMCI and Riverstone
- Location: Located approximately 30 kilometers north-east of Moranbah in central Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -21.8972196, 148.1573657
- Status: Opened for operations for at least 12 months from Oct. 2017 - Oct. 2018. Unclear if production was maintained after that.
- Production Capacity: 1 mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: high-quality coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- "ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934: COMPANHIA VALE DO RIO DOCE," "UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION", 2008.
- "Life after a Brazilian," Fitzroy Australia Resources website, June 22, 2017.
- Blair Price, "Vale closes Broadlea," "Australia's Mining Monthly," November 6, 2009.
- Peter Ker, "Coal king Hans Mende buys Vale's QLD coal assets", "Financial Review", December 12, 2016.
- "Carborough Downs sold to Fitzroy," "Fitzroy Australia Resources website", June 22, 2017.
- "New life for Bowen Basin coal sites," "Industry Queensland", December 9, 2017.
- "ATTACHMENT 1: PROJECT INTRODUCTION," "Fitzroy Australia Resources," 2017.
- EMMA DAVIES,"Fitzroy Australia Resources: Bright Ideas", "The Australian Mining Review," December 20, 2018.
- "Viewpoint: Australian coking coal rebound to continue," "Argus Blog", December 26, 2018.
- "New life for Bowen Basin coal sites," "Fitzroy Australia Resources website," December 9, 2017.
- "THE BUSINESS," "Fitzroy Australia Resources website," accessed June 2020.